O'Henry Peach Tree Prunus persica 'O'Henry'
* Images shown are of mature plants
O'Henry Peach Tree Prunus persica 'O'Henry'
Freestone Red Peaches with Vigorous Harvests
Looking for the best Peach Tree for your home garden or orchard? The O’Henry Peach Tree is it! Not only is the O’Henry self-pollinating - it also produces large, freestone fruit with bright, ruby-red skin that stands out like ornaments on a tree. The firm, sweet yellow flesh has just the right amount of acid, and the freestone fruit makes it a convenient on-the-go snack.
Although the O’Henry Peach Tree will require a little love and annual pruning, it's a bountiful and low-maintenance choice for your home orchard. Unpruned, this tree can reach up to 20 feet tall, but with regular pruning, you can maintain a height of 6-8 feet, making it ideal for your backyard or even patio. Just plant in a full sun location with well draining, sandy soil.
To pick the perfect O'Henry Peach, just feel for a little give on the skin, but the long hang time of this fruit gives you a little grace when it comes to picking at peak ripeness. And if you want peaches all summer long, plant the late harvest O’Henry Peach Tree with an early ripening variety like Red Haven Peach and a mid season variety like White Lady Peach to get 4 months of consistent fruit production.
A bountiful red peach harvest from home is only one tree away. Order your O’Henry Peach Tree for your backyard orchard today!
Planting & Care
1. Planting: Plant your tree in well-drained soil and in a full sun area (receiving at least 6-8 hours of sunlight a day). Be sure to protect your tree from heavy winds by planting on the sunniest side of a building or your home.
When you're ready to plant, dig a hole twice as wide as the root ball and just as deep. Place your tree and cover the roots with soil, watering occasionally as you go along to remove any air pockets that may have formed. Gently pat the soil down until the roots are completely covered. Finally, water the planting site and mulch to help retain moisture in the soil.
2. Watering: Keep the soil around your Peach Tree moist. Watering once a week by leaving a hose at the base of the tree for a couple of hours is sufficient. Once the soil around the tree has dried, water the tree again. During times of extreme heat, your tree may need additional water.
Tip: Yellowing of the leaves is a sign of overwatering while leaves that are dry and brown can be a sign of underwatering.
3. Fertilization: After your tree has been in the ground for 6 weeks, apply 1 lb. of a balanced fertilizer formula such as 12-12-12. In addition, apply ¾ lb. of fertilizer in the spring before new growth. Repeat this in the summer and fall as well.
4. Pruning: Your Peach Tree will need to be pruned the first two years in order to maintain an open center shape and encourage fruit production. Prune your tree in late winter or early spring using pruning shears and making your cuts at a 45-degree angle.
Trim away any broken/dead branches and any that are criss-crossing by making your cut right below the dead wood.
Tip: Once your tree begins to fruit, thin your peaches out. Thinning out your peaches will help to increase your overall production. Peaches on the top and outside of the tree will likely be ready to pick first. They will be fully ripe when there is no green left on the skin and they come off with a slight twist.
O'Henry Peach Tree Pollination
O'Henry Peach Trees are self-fertile. You will get fruit with only one plant. However, adding an additional O'Henry Peach Tree will drastically increase the size of your crop.
Estimated Shipping Time: Most orders ship within 1-2 days. As noted on the website, some items are seasonal, and may only ship in spring or fall. Once your order is shipped, you'll receive an email with a tracking number.
|Order Total||Shipping Charges|
|Less than $100||$24.95|
|$129 +||FREE SHIPPING!|
Growing Zones: 6-9 outdoors
- Mature Height: 15-20 ft.
- Mature Width: 15-20 ft.
- Sunlight: Full Sun
- Blooms: Spring
- Spacing: 15-20 ft.
- Growth Rate: Moderate
- Does Not Ship To: AZ, AR, CA, ID, LA, WA
Customer Reviews & Photos
Want extra protection for your plants? We've got you covered. Our cost-effective One Year Warranty guarantees your plants for a full year.
If a plant gets damaged - from weather, human error or anything else - just send in a picture, and you'll get store credit to replace your plant!
Get peace of mind for your new plants. Purchase a One Year Warranty today!
Because this tree is grown in a burlap bag, its roots grow into the cloth, rather than circling around the pot. This brings moisture and nutrients into the tree, for faster, healthier growth and ease. Simply dig your hole, place the Drop 'N Grow™ bag in the center (burlap included), then use excess dirt to fill the hole. That's it!