Growing Zones: 3-7 outdoors(hardy down to -30℉) 3-7 outdoors
- Mature Height:
- 15-20 ft.
- Mature Width:
- 5-10 ft.
- Full Sun, Partial Sun
- 6 ft.
- Growth Rate:
- up to 2 ft.
- Botanical Name:
- Thuja occidentalis Nigra
- Does Not Ship To:
Cold-Tolerant Evergreen is the Perfect Height for Privacy
• thrives in cold regions and northern states
• grows to a mature height of just 20-30 ft... perfect for privacy
• keeps its deep green color all year
This Evergreen Laughs at the Cold
Thuja Nigra (Thuja occidentalis 'Nigra') is the "go to" evergreen tree for privacy in cold areas... all the way up to Canada! You add a deep shade of green to your landscape that won't brown out.
Dense Foliage is Perfect for Privacy
Thuja Nigra has a stately upright, columnar form... not a pyramid like many other evergreens. Plant them 5-10 feet apart for a dense green wall. Typically grows to a height of 20-30 feet, but only 5 to 10 feet wide. This size and shape, plus its dense foliage, can work for you as:
• A privacy screen- Thuja Nigra has densely packed foliage, which grows to the ground, unlike other privacy plants that reveal the base of their trunks.
• An accent tree- If you need a tall, evergreen focal point as a vertical accent in your landscape, this dark-green thuja is ideal. Use it to complement smaller plantings in front of it or all around it.
• A windbreak- Strong evergreens with thick foliage help block cold winter winds from your home. Plant Thuja Nigra as a windbreak '– in a closely spaced row that'll block prevailing winds. For an extra measure of protection, plant a double row of trees.
Thuja Evergreens are Easy to Grow
No plant is entirely self-sufficient, Thuja Nigra comes awfully close! For starters, once it's established after planting, it can handle short periods of drought without suffering. Plant it in a sunny spot that has good drainage, and keep it well-watered during its first year. It's also more resistant to diseases than other types of arborvitae. Thuja Nigra is cold-hardy (surviving frigid winters in USDA Plant Hardiness Zone 3), and heat-tolerant (sailing through summers in Zone 7)!
Customer Reviews & Photos
Estimated Shipping Time: Most orders ship immediately, however some orders may ship in 1-2 business days (we do not ship on the weekends) from date of purchase. As noted on the website, some items are seasonal, and may only ship in spring or fall. Once your order is shipped, you'll receive an email with a tracking number.
Some plants are not available for immediate shipment, and delayed delivery is noted.
|Order Total||Shipping Charges|
|$0 - $14.99||$11.99|
|$15 - $23.99||$13.99|
|$24 - $39.99||$16.99|
|$40 - $79.99||$19.99|
|$80 - $98.99||$24.99|
|$99 +||Free Shipping!|