Minneola Tangelo Tree Citrus x tangelo 'Minneola'
* Images shown are of mature plants
Minneola Tangelo Tree Citrus x tangelo 'Minneola'
Homegrown, Easy-to-Peel Minneola Tangelos
For sweet-tangy taste, the tangelo is the way to go! Minneola Tangelo Trees, a cross between the white grapefruit and the tangerine, can be grown at your Georgia home for easy-to-grow, juicy fruit!
The Minneola Tangelo Tree readily adapts to container growing and is resistant to both pests and disease! It can also thrive in several different soil types, making it a versatile option for both yard and patio planting.
This easy-to-peel fruit can be picked straight from the tree and eaten as a quick snack. Or you can throw it into a smoothie or yogurt parfait for a healthy dessert. With the recognizable sweetness of the tangerine and the thrilling tang of the grapefruit, this hybrid offers a delicious treat everyone will love.
The Minneola Tangelo can reach 12 feet tall when planted outside, but it'll remain much shorter if placed in a pot on the patio. With only a little maintenance throughout the year, you'll see your tangelo fruit start appearing in February.
This citrus plant is sure to please both you and your houseguests alike. Grab your own Minneola Tangelo Tree before we run out of stock!
NOTE: This product is specific to Georgia. Find Tangelo Trees available in other states.
Planting & Care
1. Planting: Choose a location where your tree is going to get plenty of sunlight, around 6 to 8 hours of sun per day. They can tolerate some shade but thrive in full sun and well-drained soil.
When you're ready to plant your Tangelo, dig a hole twice as wide and just as deep as the root system. Place the tree in the hole and backfill your soil, and water for about five minutes. Mulching around the tree will help insulate the roots and keep your plant warm in the colder winter months as well.
If you're container planting, choose a pot slightly larger than the shipped container, with plenty of holes in the bottom to allow for drainage. Then, place your tree, backfill with balanced potting soil, and leave about an inch from the soil surface to the rim of the pot for easy watering.
Finally, place your tree in an area of your home, preferably a south-facing window, where it is going to get plenty of sunlight.
2. Watering: After watering about once or twice weekly, allow the top 2 to 3 inches of the soil to dry out completely before watering again.
For potted Tangelos, stick your index finger into the soil down to about 2 inches. If there is moisture present, hold off on watering until it feels drier at that depth. When you do water your Tangelo, stop once you see it escaping the drainage holes at the base of the pot.
3. Fertilizing: Feed your Tangelo Tree during the warmer spring and summer seasons with a citrus specific fertilizer, like the one included in our Citrus Care Kit, once every six weeks. During the fall and winter, fertilize once every 2 to 3 months. Once the tree has matured a bit, you can skip the cold season fertilization. Make sure to follow your fertilizer's application instructions.
4. Pruning: Make 45-degree angle cuts to remove dead or crossing limbs and also to thin out the tree to allow more light to flow between the branches. After the tree fruits, remove any dead wood and ventilate the center of the tree. Remove suckers as they form/grow from the base as well. Pruning can be done at any time of the year for the potted Tangelo and any time of year for the in-ground Tangelo, aside from winter.
Minneola Tangelo Tree Pollination
Minneola Tangelo Trees are not self-fertile. You will need to plant another variety to achieve fruiting. Below are the most effective pollinators we have chosen for your area...
Estimated Shipping Time: Most orders ship within 1-2 days. As noted on the website, some items are seasonal, and may only ship in spring or fall. Once your order is shipped, you'll receive an email with a tracking number.
|Order Total||Shipping Charges|
|Less than $100||$24.95|
|$129 +||FREE SHIPPING!|
Growing Zones: 4-11 patio / 8-11 outdoors
- Mature Height: 8-10 ft.
- Mature Width: 8-10 ft.
- Sunlight: Full to Partial Sun
- Blooms: Spring
- Spacing: 4 ft.
- Growth Rate: 2-3 ft.
- Does Not Ship To: AZ, CA, FL, HI, LA, TX
Customer Reviews & Photos
Want extra protection for your plants? We've got you covered. Our cost-effective One Year Warranty guarantees your plants for a full year.
If a plant gets damaged - from weather, human error or anything else - just send in a picture, and you'll get store credit to replace your plant!
Get peace of mind for your new plants. Purchase a One Year Warranty today!
Because this tree is grown in a burlap bag, its roots grow into the cloth, rather than circling around the pot. This brings moisture and nutrients into the tree, for faster, healthier growth and ease. Simply dig your hole, place the Drop 'N Grow™ bag in the center (burlap included), then use excess dirt to fill the hole. That's it!