Shiranui Mandarin Tree Citrus reticulata 'Shiranui'
* Images shown are of mature plants
Shiranui Mandarin Tree Citrus reticulata 'Shiranui'
Seedless, Easy-Peel Citrus
Tired of your local grocery store running out of your favorite citrus? And are you ready to bring the best seedless, easy-peel mandarin to your backyard? The Shiranui Mandarin Tree is a Japanese hybrid cross of a Ponkan tangerine and a Kiyami tangor, which has resulted in perhaps the most flavorful citrus in the world!
Although the bumpy peel of the Shiranui's mandarins may not be visually appealing, it’s the inside that counts. The lumpy texture and large bump at the top of the mandarin actually makes it easy and less messy to peel. Plus, with sweet, slightly acidic citrus flavor and juicy and meaty flesh, this mandarin - the same variety as the popular Sumo® mandarin - is simply incredible.
The best part about the Shiranui Mandarin Tree itself is the long hang time of the fruit and its adaptability. You can expect the fruit to ripen between November and January and have a hang time of 2-4 months. Plus, you can shape and prune your Shiranui Tree to a height of 10 feet to accommodate your in-ground or in-container gardening spaces.
Arriving in the United States in 2011, the Shiranui mandarin has become both highly desired and recognized across the country. And now, you can have the sweet, honey-flavored fruit in your very own backyard. But our inventory won’t last long, so order your Shiranui Tree today!
Planting & Care
1. Planting: Choose a location where your tree is going to get plenty of sunlight - 6 to 8 hours per day is best. These trees also do better in areas with high humidity, so you may also need to create humidity for your tree by misting the leaves daily with water.
If your winter temperatures are consistently below 40 degrees, plant your tree in a container that can easily be brought outside in the summer months and inside for the winter. Choose a pot slightly larger than what it was shipped in (1 to 2 pot sizes) that has plenty of holes in the bottom to allow for drainage. Be sure to plant in well-draining potting soil preferably recommended for acid-loving citrus plants.
2. Watering: Set a weekly watering schedule for the best results. After watering, allow the top 2 to 3 inches of the soil to dry out completely before watering again.
But for potted Mandarin Trees, it's easiest to stick your index finger into the soil down to about 2 inches. If there is moisture present, hold off on watering until it feels drier at that depth. When you're ready to water, stop once you see water escaping the drainage holes at the base of the pot.
3. Pollination: This tree is self-fertile and will produce fruit on its own, but if you want to increase your crop size, you can provide additional pollination by hand. To do this, simply take a small, dry, fine-tipped paintbrush and stick it into the center of the bloom. Swirl it around and collect the pollen on the brush. Go to the next bloom and repeat the process until every bloom has been treated. The bloom will fall off naturally and the fruit will begin to form.
4. Fertilizing: Feed your Mandarin Tree during the warmer spring and summer seasons with a citrus-specific fertilizer, such as the one included in our Citrus Care Kit, once every six weeks. During the fall and winter season, ease back to fertilizing once every 2 to 3 months.
5. Pruning: Prune ground-planted Mandarins in any season (except for winter) by making 45-degree angle cuts to remove dead or crossing limbs and also to thin out the tree to allow more light. After the tree fruits, remove any dead wood and ventilate the center of the tree. Remove suckers as they form/grow from the base. Pruning can be done at any time of the year for the potted Mandarin.
Shiranui Mandarin Tree Pollination
Shiranui Mandarin Trees are self-fertile. You will get fruit with only one plant. However, adding an additional Shiranui Mandarin Tree will drastically increase the size of your crop.
Estimated Shipping Time: Most orders ship within 1-2 days. As noted on the website, some items are seasonal, and may only ship in spring or fall. Once your order is shipped, you'll receive an email with a tracking number.
|Order Total||Shipping Charges|
|Less than $100||$24.95|
|$149 +||FREE SHIPPING!|
Growing Zones: 4-11 patio / 9-11 outdoors
- Mature Height: 12-18 ft. Unpruned
- Mature Width: 8-10 ft.
- Sunlight: Full-Partial
- Blooms: Spring
- Growth Rate: Moderate
- Does Not Ship To: AZ, AR, CA, CO, CT, DE, FL, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NV, NH, NJ, NM, NY, NC, ND, OH, OK, OR, PA, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, VA, WA, WV, WI, WY, AL, DC
Customer Reviews & Photos
Want extra protection for your plants? We've got you covered. Our cost-effective One Year Warranty guarantees your plants for a full year.
If a plant gets damaged - from weather, human error or anything else - just send in a picture, and you'll get store credit to replace your plant!
Get peace of mind for your new plants. Purchase a One Year Warranty today!
Because this tree is grown in a burlap bag, its roots grow into the cloth, rather than circling around the pot. This brings moisture and nutrients into the tree, for faster, healthier growth and ease. Simply dig your hole, place the Drop 'N Grow™ bag in the center (burlap included), then use excess dirt to fill the hole. That's it!