Dripping with Caramel
You may know Heuchera plants by their common name – Coral Bells. But there’s nothing common about Caramel Heuchera (Heuchera 'Caramel'). This outstanding garden plant is equally prized for its foliage as well as its flowers, and it's a bit more resilient in hot and humid climates than other heuchera selections. Rising on spires held high above the foliage, the dainty, bell-shaped flowers are creamy-white, sometimes with a soft touch of pink. The gently lobed leaves will remind you of buttery caramel with a hint of soft apricot. A delicious addition to your garden!
Selecting the Perfect Garden Spot
• Ideally, Caramel Heuchera enjoys sun on its leaves for part of the day, but it will appreciate shade from the harsh afternoon sun, particularly in the sunny South.
• Well-draining soil is a must for heucheras, because their crowns can rot if the plants sit in waterlogged soil. Plant in raised beds or containers if the soil in your intended garden spot stays a bit too wet. Think moist - but not soggy - soil.
• Caramel Heuchera is beautiful when used as a border plant for a sidewalk or patio.
Heuchera plants fall in the category of "botanical collectibles," because after you’ve grown one type, you'll want to keep adding to your collection!
• Heucheras naturally grow in a tidy clump, so use their rounded shape to add softness to your garden design.
• Instead of a single plant left to stand alone, place odd-numbered groupings together - three, five or seven plants - to form a rounded or staggered planting that maximizes this plant's design appeal.
• Mix and match different types of heucheras with contrasting foliage; for example, plant Caramel Heuchera (buttery caramel leaves) with our Obsidian (purplish-black leaves) and Peach Flambe (peach and red leaves) cultivars for dynamic visual impact.
• Each flower stalk has masses of blossoms, which you can cut and bring inside to fill your favorite vase.
The Dinner Bell Rings for Hummingbirds
Be sure and position some plants where you’ll be able to see them from your favorite sitting area. You don't want to miss the show when Caramel Heuchera beckons hummingbirds - they love feeding on the bell-shaped flowers!