Areca Palm Tree Dypsis lutescens
* Images shown are of mature plants
Areca Palm Tree Dypsis lutescens
A Low Maintenance, Stylish & Detoxifying Palm Tree
• Most efficient air purifier and humidifier
• Pest Resistant
• Drought Resistant
The Areca Palm Tree, also known as the Yellow Butterfly Palm, is a native of Madagascar and can improve your life in many ways. For instance, this tree will improve your air quality by absorbing potentially harmful gasses in your home. Just imagine how relaxed you will be after buying this palm tree knowing it not only provides excellent decor, but it also protects you and your family from almost all pollutants present in the air. Oh, it is also non-toxic and safe for your furry family members, too.
The Easiest House Plant Ever
You will not want to miss out on one of the easiest plants to grow indoors! The Areca Palm tree has feathery green fronds, or leaves, that are smooth and glossy. Each frond has 100 leaflets that bend and brush against one another creating a comforting sound that will become hypnotic.
Buttery Flowers in the Early Summer
This palm tree will produce tiny golden flowers beneath its large fronds during the late spring or early summer. The flowers do not have a potent smell. Actually, the smell is very bland and unnoticeable. A few months after the yellow flowers bloom, non-edible light green to yellow fruit will appear as well. The fruit will then turn hues of yellow and orange once they ripen.
A Getaway Privacy Hedge
These palm trees can be used as a privacy hedge! If planted in full sun they will provide an amazing privacy screen because the fronds will become nice and thick. However, because of the amount of sun it will be getting, you may notice that the fronds will begin to turn yellow. If you plant it in Partial Sun the fronds will remain green, but the coverage will be thin. The best option for your privacy, and for your Areca Palm, would be to plant it in an area that gets full to partial sun. The fronds will turn yellow if it is exposed to the harsh afternoon sun. If planted in an area that gets 3-6 hours of morning or early afternoon sun you will get your thick privacy screening and green fronds. Simply space your trees 3-6 feet apart. It will create an excellent dense barrier to block out unfriendly views that you may have.
Planting and Care
1. Planting: You don't have to immediately repot your plant - you'll only need to repot approximately every other year, once your Palm outgrows its shipped container or original pot. Increase the pot size by 2 inches each time you repot to accommodate new growth.
If growing outdoors make sure you give the palm well draining soil and adequate space above to grow.
2. Watering: Mist your Palm weekly if kept indoors in addition to regular watering – this ensures that its native humid climate is simulated in your home. If you're not sure when to water, simply check the soil about 2 inches down. If the soil is dry here, it's time to water.
FGT Tip: If fronds begin to yellow, it could be a sign of overwatering. If you see yellowed fronds, allow time for the soil to dry before watering your plant again. Browning fronds, however, mean that your Palm is not getting enough water and needs more. Using a well draining potting mix is key in getting this balance.
3. Pruning: Simply any fronds as they turn yellow or brown. This improves the look of your plant and creates clean space for healthier green fronds to grow.
4. Fertilizing: You can apply palm fertilizers that contain specific nutrients best suited for palms. If you prefer, you can also use a balanced fertilizer, such as an 8-8-8 formula, for quicker growth in spring and summer.
Estimated Shipping Time: Most orders ship within 1-2 days. As noted on the website, some items are seasonal, and may only ship in spring or fall. Once your order is shipped, you'll receive an email with a tracking number.
|Order Total||Shipping Charges|
|Less than $100||$24.95|
|$129 +||FREE SHIPPING!|
Growing Zones: 4-11 patio / 10-11 outdoors
- Mature Height: 4-5 ft Indoors 15-30 ft Outdoors
- Mature Width: 3-5 ft Indoors 5-15 ft Outdoors
- Sunlight: Full Sun, Partial Sun
- Spacing: 3-5 ft.
- Growth Rate: up to 2 ft.
- Does Not Ship To: AZ
Planting Care for the Areca Palm Tree
Plant your Areca Palm in an area that receives full-partial sun (4-6 hours of direct sunlight daily).
Water your Palm 2-3 times per week for the first month, then once a week for the remainder of the first year after planting. Keep the soil moist but well-drained, watering more in times of drought and less when there is rainfall.
If necessary, apply palm fertilizers that contain specific nutrients best suited for palms or a balanced fertilizer, such as an 8-8-8 formula, for quicker growth in spring and summer.
Customer Reviews & Photos
Want extra protection for your plants? We've got you covered. Our cost-effective One Year Warranty guarantees your plants for a full year.
If a plant gets damaged - from weather, human error or anything else - just send in a picture, and you'll get store credit to replace your plant!
Get peace of mind for your new plants. Purchase a One Year Warranty today!
Because this tree is grown in a burlap bag, its roots grow into the cloth, rather than circling around the pot. This brings moisture and nutrients into the tree, for faster, healthier growth and ease. Simply dig your hole, place the Drop 'N Grow™ bag in the center (burlap included), then use excess dirt to fill the hole. That's it!