Sago Palm Tree Cycas Revoluta
* Images shown are of mature plants
Sago Palm Tree Cycas Revoluta
An Adaptive Palm Tree with Tropical Appeal!
This member of the Cycadaceae family is sure to draw attention and comments from friends and neighbors with its tropical display and impressive height of 4-6 feet.
This unique and celebrated ornamental palm features a rugged trunk with coarse, feathery leaves on long, fern-like fronds. Its dark green foliage is a lively backdrop for other colorful landscape plantings that will serve to further highlight its appeal.
When mature, a Sago Palm will flower every 2-3 years. The male and female sagos produce a large cone in their center. If pollinated by the male, the female flower will produce seeds for reproduction.
These palms look great in your landscape, or as a potted house plant! They are hardy plants, offering easy results if planted in a well-drained area slightly above the soil line, and in a full sun location.
These palm trees grow slowly, but are very long-lived, with a lifespan reaching hundreds of years. Container-grown Sago Palms do best if allowed to almost dry out between waterings, so you don't have to give them constant attention. They readily adapt to tough growing conditions, both inside and out. You can't go wrong with a Sago Palm.
This magnificent primitive plant will provide years of easy enjoyment.
Note: The Sago Palm is poisonous to pets, so keep it away from your furry friends!
Planting and Care
1. Planting: You don't have to immediately repot your plant - you'll only need to repot approximately every other year, once your Sago outgrows its shipped container or original pot. Increase the pot size by 2 inches each time you repot to accommodate new growth.
If growing outdoors make sure you plant in well-draining soil and provide adequate space to grow.
2. Watering: Mist your sago weekly if kept indoors in addition to regular watering – this ensures that its native humid climate is simulated in your home. If you're not sure when to water, simply check the soil about 2 inches down. If the soil is dry here, it's time to water.
BB Tip: If fronds begin to yellow, it could be a sign of overwatering. If you see yellowed fronds, allow time for the soil to dry before watering your plant again. Browning fronds, however, mean that your Palm is not getting enough water and needs more. Using a well-draining potting mix is key in getting this balance.
3. Pruning: Simply any fronds as they turn yellow or brown. This improves the look of your plant and creates clean space for healthier green fronds to grow.
4. Fertilizing: You can apply palm fertilizers that contain specific nutrients best suited for palms. If you prefer, you can also use a balanced fertilizer, such as an 8-8-8 formula, for quicker growth in spring and summer.
We recommend getting big, 3 gallon palm trees if they're still available. They take us a few extra years to grow, but you'll get a bigger plant
Estimated Shipping Time: Most orders ship within 1-2 days. As noted on the website, some items are seasonal, and may only ship in spring or fall. Once your order is shipped, you'll receive an email with a tracking number.
|Order Total||Shipping Charges|
|Less than $100||$24.95|
|$129 +||FREE SHIPPING!|
Growing Zones: 4-11 patio / 8-11 outdoors
- Mature Height:
4-6 ft Indoors
6-10 ft Outdoors
- Mature Width:
3-5 ft Indoors
6-10 ft Outdoors
- Sunlight: Partial Sun
- Blooms: Late Spring
- Spacing: 4-6 ft.
- Growth Rate: up to 1 ft. / yr
- Does Not Ship To: AZ
Planting Care for the Sago Palm Tree
Plant your Sago Palm Tree in an area that receives partial sun (3-6 hours of direct sunlight per day).
Water your Palm 2-3 times per week for the first month, then once a week for the remainder of the first year after planting. Keep the soil moist but well-drained, watering more in times of drought and less when there is rainfall.
If necessary, apply palm fertilizers that contain specific nutrients best suited for palms or a balanced fertilizer, such as an 8-8-8 formula, for quicker growth in spring and summer.
Customer Reviews & Photos
Want extra protection for your plants? We've got you covered. Our cost-effective One Year Warranty guarantees your plants for a full year.
If a plant gets damaged - from weather, human error or anything else - just send in a picture, and you'll get store credit to replace your plant!
Get peace of mind for your new plants. Purchase a One Year Warranty today!
Because this tree is grown in a burlap bag, its roots grow into the cloth, rather than circling around the pot. This brings moisture and nutrients into the tree, for faster, healthier growth and ease. Simply dig your hole, place the Drop 'N Grow™ bag in the center (burlap included), then use excess dirt to fill the hole. That's it!