This plant may not thrive in your area
Move over, white-flowering dogwood trees. With its dazzling spring display of 4-inch-wide blossoms of dark reddish-pink with white centers, Cherokee Brave Dogwood (Cornus florida 'Comco No. 1' CHEROKEE BRAVE) is a sight to behold. This showstopper of a tree bursts into bloom before the leaves emerge to herald the arrival of spring!
Colorful and Vigorous
1. Spring and fall color. Reddish-pink blooms are the highlight of this tree in spring, but another red surprise appears in autumn with its brilliant fall foliage!
2. Fast growth. Compared to other red-flowering dogwoods, Cherokee Brave Dogwood grows almost twice as fast.
3. Attracts birds. After the blooms fade in spring, berries begin to form. These berries mature in late summer, turning a brilliant red to the delight of many birds that relish them as a fruiting food source.
Dogwood Design Tips
Cherokee Brave Dogwood is a carefully bred selection of our native dogwood tree (Cornus florida), prospering in USDA Plant Hardiness Zones 5 through 9. Its horizontally branching form spreads out to make Cherokee Brave Dogwood a nice single-specimen shade tree. But its colorful impact is magnified when planted in small groupings or three or more trees. As an understory tree, Cherokee Brave Dogwood provides a smaller design element to surrounding, taller shade trees.
Few Growing Needs
Attention to these details helps Cherokee Brave Dogwood flourish:
• Sun. Sunlight enhances the red color of the showy bracts, but too much direct sun (particularly in the afternoon) may stress trees. A location that receives morning sun and afternoon shade is ideal.
• Soil. Rich, acidic and well-draining soil supports optimal growth.
• Water. Natural rainfall typically supplies enough water for established trees, but supplemental irrigation is needed during times of drought or particularly hot summers.
• Fertilizer. Apply fertilizer at the recommendation of soil-test results.
• Pruning. There's no pruning needed to shape Cherokee Brave Dogwood because it has a naturally upright, vase-like shape. Simply remove any broken or storm-damaged limbs to keep trees looking tidy.
You can still order, but due to cold weather, we have delayed shipping to the areas shaded on the map below. We want your new plant to thrive right out of the box, so we will wait on shipping your order until the weather is ideal. This includes anyone in
Growing Zones 3, 4, 5 & 6. If you are unsure of your growing zone, visit our
Growing Zone Finder.
Some plants are not available for immediate shipment, and delayed delivery is noted.
We will resume normal shipping in the Spring. Please see the table below for your approximate ship date.
|Growing Zone||Shipping Resumes|
|Zones 3 & 4||Week of May 3rd|
|Zone 5||Week of April 10th|
|Zone 6||Week of March 29th|
|Zones 7 - 11||Ships Now!|
|Order Total||Shipping Charges|
|Less than $15||$11.99|
|$129 +||FREE SHIPPING!|
Beautiful, colorful, and unique array of shrubs, trees, and plants
We grow and deliver the highest quality products directly to your door
Order online or over the phone with no waiting and no hassles
Join our community and get exclusive offers, care tips and more!