Growing Zones: 5-9 outdoors(hardy down to -10℉) 5-9 outdoors
- Mature Height:
- 20-30 ft.
- Mature Width:
- 25-35 ft.
- Full to Partial Sun
- 25 ft.
- Growth Rate:
- up to 2 ft.
- Botanical Name:
- Cornus florida
- Does Not Ship To:
- AZ, FL
A Vibrant Red-Flowering Dogwood
Move over, white-flowering dogwood trees. With its dazzling spring display of 4-inch-wide blossoms of dark reddish-pink with white centers, Cherokee Brave Dogwood (Cornus florida 'Comco No. 1' CHEROKEE BRAVE) is a sight to behold. This showstopper of a tree bursts into bloom before the leaves emerge to herald the arrival of spring!
Colorful and Vigorous
1. Spring and fall color. Reddish-pink blooms are the highlight of this tree in spring, but another red surprise appears in autumn with its brilliant fall foliage!
2. Fast growth. Compared to other red-flowering dogwoods, Cherokee Brave Dogwood grows almost twice as fast.
3. Attracts birds. After the blooms fade in spring, berries begin to form. These berries mature in late summer, turning a brilliant red to the delight of many birds that relish them as a fruiting food source.
Dogwood Design Tips
Cherokee Brave Dogwood is a carefully bred selection of our native dogwood tree (Cornus florida), prospering in USDA Plant Hardiness Zones 5 through 9. Its horizontally branching form spreads out to make Cherokee Brave Dogwood a nice single-specimen shade tree. But its colorful impact is magnified when planted in small groupings or three or more trees. As an understory tree, Cherokee Brave Dogwood provides a smaller design element to surrounding, taller shade trees.
Few Growing Needs
Attention to these details helps Cherokee Brave Dogwood flourish:
• Sun. Sunlight enhances the red color of the showy bracts, but too much direct sun (particularly in the afternoon) may stress trees. A location that receives morning sun and afternoon shade is ideal.
• Soil. Rich, acidic and well-draining soil supports optimal growth.
• Water. Natural rainfall typically supplies enough water for established trees, but supplemental irrigation is needed during times of drought or particularly hot summers.
• Fertilizer. Apply fertilizer at the recommendation of soil-test results.
• Pruning. There's no pruning needed to shape Cherokee Brave Dogwood because it has a naturally upright, vase-like shape. Simply remove any broken or storm-damaged limbs to keep trees looking tidy.
Customer Reviews & Photos
Estimated Shipping Time: Most orders ship immediately, however some orders may ship in 1-2 business days (we do not ship on the weekends) from date of purchase. As noted on the website, some items are seasonal, and may only ship in spring or fall. Once your order is shipped, you'll receive an email with a tracking number.
|Order Total||Shipping Charges|
|$0 - $9.99||$7.99|
|$10 - $19.99||$9.99|
|$20 - $29.99||$16.99|
|$30 - $39.99||$19.99|
|$40 - $59.99||$22.99|
|$60 - $79.99||$24.99|
|$80 - $99.99||$27.99|
|$100 - $124.99||$29.99|
|$125 and Above||Free Shipping!|
When will I receive my plants?
|Zones 3 & 4 ship the week of April 29th, 2019|
|Zone 5 ships the week of April 14th, 2019|
|Zone 6 ships the week of April 7th, 2019|