* Images shown are of mature plants
Growing Zones: 5-9 outdoors
This plant may not thrive in your area
- Mature Height: 20-30 ft.
- Mature Width: 25-35 ft.
- Sunlight: Full to Partial Sun
- Blooms: Spring
- Spacing: 25 ft.
- Growth Rate: up to 2 ft.
- Botanical Name: Cornus florida
- Does Not Ship To: AZ, FL
A Vibrant Red-Flowering Dogwood
Move over, white-flowering dogwood trees. With its dazzling spring display of 4-inch-wide blossoms of dark reddish-pink with white centers, Cherokee Brave Dogwood (Cornus florida 'Comco No. 1' CHEROKEE BRAVE) is a sight to behold. This showstopper of a tree bursts into bloom before the leaves emerge to herald the arrival of spring!
Colorful and Vigorous
1. Spring and fall color. Reddish-pink blooms are the highlight of this tree in spring, but another red surprise appears in autumn with its brilliant fall foliage!
2. Fast growth. Compared to other red-flowering dogwoods, Cherokee Brave Dogwood grows almost twice as fast.
3. Attracts birds. After the blooms fade in spring, berries begin to form. These berries mature in late summer, turning a brilliant red to the delight of many birds that relish them as a fruiting food source.
Dogwood Design Tips
Cherokee Brave Dogwood is a carefully bred selection of our native dogwood tree (Cornus florida), prospering in USDA Plant Hardiness Zones 5 through 9. Its horizontally branching form spreads out to make Cherokee Brave Dogwood a nice single-specimen shade tree. But its colorful impact is magnified when planted in small groupings or three or more trees. As an understory tree, Cherokee Brave Dogwood provides a smaller design element to surrounding, taller shade trees.
Few Growing Needs
Attention to these details helps Cherokee Brave Dogwood flourish:
• Sun. Sunlight enhances the red color of the showy bracts, but too much direct sun (particularly in the afternoon) may stress trees. A location that receives morning sun and afternoon shade is ideal.
• Soil. Rich, acidic and well-draining soil supports optimal growth.
• Water. Natural rainfall typically supplies enough water for established trees, but supplemental irrigation is needed during times of drought or particularly hot summers.
• Fertilizer. Apply fertilizer at the recommendation of soil-test results.
• Pruning. There's no pruning needed to shape Cherokee Brave Dogwood because it has a naturally upright, vase-like shape. Simply remove any broken or storm-damaged limbs to keep trees looking tidy.
Customer Reviews & Photos
Estimated Shipping Time: Most orders ship within 1-2 days. As noted on the website, some items are seasonal, and may only ship in spring or fall. Once your order is shipped, you'll receive an email with a tracking number.
|Order Total||Shipping Charges|
|Less than $15||$11.99|
|$149 +||FREE SHIPPING!|