Growing Zones: 4-8 outdoors(hardy down to -20℉) 4-8 outdoors
- Mature Height:
- 15-20 ft.
- Mature Width:
- 15-20 ft.
- Full Sun
- 12-15 ft.
- Growth Rate:
- up to 2 ft.
- Botanical Name:
- Malus x 'Prairifire'
- Does Not Ship To:
- AZ, CA, ID, OR
A Fiery Explosion of Vibrant Blossoms in Springtime
Prairifire Crabapple tree (Malus x 'Prairifire') is one of the showiest trees you can plant in your yard. In early spring, when much of the landscape is still winter-drab and summer flowers have yet to make their appearance, you can depend on flowering trees for early-season color. Although it bears tiny cherry-like fruits, which are relished by birds, Prairifire Crabapple is prized more for its stunning spring display of dark-pink to red blossoms.
A Host of Benefits
1. Colorful flowers and foliage. After the flowers fade, Prairifire Crabapple is still colorful. Newly emerging foliage is purplish before turning green with reddish veins and stems. In autumn, the leaves turn orange for an end-of-the season color pop.
2. Bird-friendly. The apples are the size of cherries, only about one-half inch in diameter, and birds love them! Your Prairifire Crabapple will be a flurry of activity when the fruits mature in summer.
3. Superior disease resistance. Apple and crabapple trees are notoriously susceptible to many diseases. Prairifire Crabapple has been bred as a disease-resistant selection so you don't have to spray trees to keep them healthy.
As a cold-tolerant tree, Prairifire Crabapple is a perennial in USDA Plant Hardiness Zones 4 through 8. These growing practices help keep it in optimal health:
• Sun. A full-sun location promotes the best flowering.
• Soil. Prairifire Crabapple is adapted to a wide range of soil types.
• Water. Deep and thorough watering during the first growth season helps its root system become firmly established.
• Fertilizer. Fertilize once a year in spring based on soil-test recommendations.
• Pruning. You won't have to prune Prairifire Crabapple unless you need to remove dead, broken or crossed limbs.
Maximize the Floral Appeal
Some fruiting trees require another tree nearby to ensure cross-pollination of its flowers so the fruit can form. Prairifire Crabapple is self-fruitful, which means that it will bear fruit even if it's the only apple tree in your yard. But if you plant a grouping of three Prairifire Crabapples or a row of trees down your property line, you'll enjoy an even more breathtaking floral show!
Customer Reviews & Photos
Estimated Shipping Time: Most orders ship immediately, however some orders may ship in 1-2 business days (we do not ship on the weekends) from date of purchase. As noted on the website, some items are seasonal, and may only ship in spring or fall. Once your order is shipped, you'll receive an email with a tracking number.
|Order Total||Shipping Charges|
|$0 - $14.99||$11.99|
|$15 - $23.99||$13.99|
|$24 - $39.99||$16.99|
|$40 - $79.99||$19.99|
|$80 - $98.99||$24.99|
|$99 - $118.99||$29.99|
|$119 and Above||Free Shipping with code FREESHIP!|
When will I receive my plants?
|Zones 3 & 4 ship the week of April 29th, 2019|
|Zone 5 ships the week of April 14th, 2019|
|Zone 6 ships the week of April 7th, 2019|