Jacaranda Tree Jacaranda mimosifolia
* Images shown are of mature plants
Jacaranda Tree Jacaranda mimosifolia
Breathtaking Flower Clusters on a Fast-Growing Tropical Tree
The grandeur of a Jacaranda tree (Jacaranda mimosifolia) in full bloom truly is unrivaled. Brilliantly awash in color that includes hues of blue, lavender, lilac, and purple, this spectacular tree will take your breath away. Suited for only the warmest climates, Jacaranda is a frost-tender tropical treasure that will add a majestic touch to your landscape. In cooler climates, it's even a beautiful potted tree that graces sunny patios, decks, and courtyard gardens.
A Springtime Beauty
Jacarandas produce so many flowers that the canopies of trees are completely covered with blooms in springtime. The densely packed blossoms virtually drip off the trees because they are formed in clusters on panicles that can reach 12 inches! The individual bell-shaped blossoms are substantial '– up to 2 inches long. Although these impressive flowers are certainly large and abundant, it's the sheer spectacle of color overhead that will leave you speechless. And when the flowers drop from trees after their spring show, they provide a resplendent encore. On the ground below Jacaranda trees, the flowers are so plentiful that they create a solid carpet of color!
Also Called the Fern Tree
Even when the Jacaranda is not blooming, its intriguing foliage makes this tree an exceptional addition to your landscape design. One of Jacaranda's common names '– fern tree '– hints at the unusual texture of its leaves. The dramatic foliage resembles large fern fronds that grow up to 20 inches long. These leaves also look like those of the mimosa tree, which is the reason for its descriptive species name '– mimosifolia. With its showy flowers followed by textural leaves, the Jacaranda tree combines beauty and architecture in one luxurious package!
The Ferny Foliage Even Allows Grass to Grow under Trees
Trees with broad leaves that completely shade the ground create an obstacle for growing grass underneath them. You've seen patchy '– or non-existent '– grass underneath your large shade trees. It's because most types of turfgrass need sun to grow well. In shady areas, grasses struggle to survive and typically just don't make it. But the ferny foliage of Jacaranda trees allows filtered sunlight to reach the ground below. The University of Florida notes that this quality makes it easier for turfgrass to grow under Jacaranda trees than under other types of trees that have denser canopies. Your lawn will look fuller without patchy eyesores underneath these trees!
Pest- and Disease-Free
Many trees that are highly ornamental, including lots of flowering varieties, are plagued by insects and diseases that mar their beauty and compromise their health. But not so with the durable Jacaranda tree! It is rarely bothered by pests, which means you're able to enjoy its beauty without having to spray it with chemicals every year to keep it healthy and productive.
Maximize Your Landscape Design
You can't help but notice this eye-popping tree no matter where you place it in your sunny landscape! Keep its mature size in mind when you scout a location for it '– it can grow up to 50 feet tall and 30 feet wide. In a large landscape, you cannot find a showier tree to plant in a row along your property line '– either down both sides of your yard or along the back. If you have a smaller landscape and you're deciding on a single accent tree, look no further. One Jacaranda tree provides a dramatic focal point that gives you magnificent spring blooms and textural foliage the rest of the growing season. And if you own a business, Jacaranda trees are also lovely in commercial landscapes!
NOTE: This product is specific to Arizona. Find Jacaranda Trees available in other states.
Planting & Care
Follow these planting and growing tips to keep your Jacaranda healthy and happy:
• Sun. Plenty of sun is what the plant doctor orders for this tree! Jacaranda can tolerate some light shade, but it will produce more flowers and thicker growth in full sun.
• Soil. Fertile soil that drains well is optimal for the health of Jacaranda trees.
• Water. Because Jacaranda is a tropical tree, it responds to soil that stays evenly moist (but not soggy). It's best not to allow the soil to dry completely or the roots may become stressed. Water your newly transplanted Jacaranda more often than an established tree '– twice a week during hot weather, and once a week during milder weather.
• Mulch. Apply a 3-inch layer of mulch to help keep the soil from drying out too quickly, and spread the mulch in a wide circle around your tree. Pull the mulch away from the trunk about 12 inches instead of piling it against your tree.
• Fertilizer. Surprisingly, Jacaranda trees don't have a high demand for fertilizer. When you have a soil test performed, you'll know exactly what nutrients it needs. Your local Cooperative Extension Service can test your soil and make recommendations for any needed fertilizer. If you do fertilize your tree, an application in early spring is the best time to boost its growth and encourage lots of blooms.
• Pruning. You'll be glad to know that you won't need to prune your Jacaranda. It naturally grows into a rounded shape, sometimes even taking an umbrella-like form! And since pruning sometimes detracts from Jacaranda's natural shape, it's best to leave it unpruned.
Estimated Shipping Time: Most orders ship within 1-2 days. As noted on the website, some items are seasonal, and may only ship in spring or fall. Once your order is shipped, you'll receive an email with a tracking number.
|Order Total||Shipping Charges|
|Less than $100||$24.95|
|$129 +||FREE SHIPPING!|
Growing Zones: 9-11 outdoors
- Mature Height: 25-50 ft.
- Mature Width: 15-30 ft.
- Sunlight: Full Sun
- Spacing: 30 ft.
- Growth Rate: up to 2 ft.
Customer Reviews & Photos
Want extra protection for your plants? We've got you covered. Our cost-effective One Year Warranty guarantees your plants for a full year.
If a plant gets damaged - from weather, human error or anything else - just send in a picture, and you'll get store credit to replace your plant!
Get peace of mind for your new plants. Purchase a One Year Warranty today!
Because this tree is grown in a burlap bag, its roots grow into the cloth, rather than circling around the pot. This brings moisture and nutrients into the tree, for faster, healthier growth and ease. Simply dig your hole, place the Drop 'N Grow™ bag in the center (burlap included), then use excess dirt to fill the hole. That's it!