Chelan Cherry Tree Prunus avium 'Chelan'
* Images shown are of mature plants
Chelan Cherry Tree Prunus avium 'Chelan'
Enjoy an Abundance of Sweet, Deep Mahogany Cherries
Chelan Cherry Trees have been carefully cultivated to avoid cherry-growing issues, like cracked and fused fruits, common in similar trees. Instead, you’ll enjoy juicy and sweet, mahogany-colored Chelan Cherries without the hassle!
Compare the Chelan Cherry Tree to its lookalike relative, the Bing. Both medium-to-large trees produce deep red, heart-shaped fruits, and in springtime, sprout white-to-pink flowers. In addition to being less prone to cracking and fusing than its counterpart, however, the Chelan Cherry produces fruit two weeks earlier than the better-known Bing.
With its large size, showy flowers, and striking fruits, the Chelan Cherry Tree is an eye-catching addition to any landscape. Reaching up to 15 to 30 feet in both height and width, the tree needs considerable room to grow. When it starts bearing fruits in about four or five years, you’ll definitely be glad you gave it a prominent position in your landscaping.
Chelan Cherries taste as good as they look. At about 16 to 18 percent sugar, they’re sweeter than other varieties, making them ideal for desserts, crumbles, smoothies, and other treats. At the same time, they’re perfect right off the tree, and can also be dried, preserved, or turned into jam. With the high yield of the Chelan Cherry Tree, you’ll have plenty of fruits with which to experiment.
Ready for an easy and early-fruiting cherry variety? Order your Chelan Cherry Tree today!
Planting & Care
1. Planting: First, find an area with well-drained soil and full sun (6 to 8 hours of sunlight per day). Once you've selected your location, dig a hole that's approximately a foot and a half deep and equally as wide. Place your cherry in the hole, tamp down the surrounding soil to remove air pockets, and then water to settle the roots. Finally, spread a layer of mulch over the soil around your cherry tree to help encourage healthy growth and preserve moisture.
2. Watering: During the growing season, if your tree receives at least an inch of rain every 10 days then no additional irrigation is necessary. If the season is hot and dry, then you may need to provide some additional water. The best way to water is by using a slow trickling garden hose and leaving it at the base of the tree for about 30 seconds, once a week. If you're not sure when to water, however, check the soil about 2 or 3 inches down. If the soil is dry here, it's time to water.
3. Pruning: A year after planting your cherry tree, prune in the late winter, while it's still dormant. Shape the tree to encourage horizontal branch growth with space between branches. Prune once a year as necessary to remove weak, drooping branches.
4. Fertilizing: Fertilize in the spring and midsummer using low-nitrogen fertilizer, applying 2 weeks after planting and 4 weeks after the first application. Use a complete fertilizer, such as 10-10-10, and apply 6 to 8 inches away from the trunk.
FGT Tip: Surround your cherry tree with a thin layer of mulch each spring.
Chelan Cherry Tree Pollination
The Chelan Cherry Tree is not self-fertile. The Index, Rainier, Lapins, Sweetheart, and Bing varieties will all pollinate the Chelan so that you can achieve fruit.
Estimated Shipping Time: Most orders ship within 1-2 days. As noted on the website, some items are seasonal, and may only ship in spring or fall. Once your order is shipped, you'll receive an email with a tracking number.
|Order Total||Shipping Charges|
|Less than $100||$24.95|
|$129 +||FREE SHIPPING!|
Growing Zones: 3-8 outdoors
- Mature Height: 15-30 ft.
- Mature Width: 15-30 ft.
- Sunlight: Full Sun
- Blooms: Spring
- Growth Rate: Fast
- Does Not Ship To: AZ, CA, ID, WA
Customer Reviews & Photos
Want extra protection for your plants? We've got you covered. Our cost-effective One Year Warranty guarantees your plants for a full year.
If a plant gets damaged - from weather, human error or anything else - just send in a picture, and you'll get store credit to replace your plant!
Get peace of mind for your new plants. Purchase a One Year Warranty today!
Because this tree is grown in a burlap bag, its roots grow into the cloth, rather than circling around the pot. This brings moisture and nutrients into the tree, for faster, healthier growth and ease. Simply dig your hole, place the Drop 'N Grow™ bag in the center (burlap included), then use excess dirt to fill the hole. That's it!