Skeena Cherry Tree Prunus avium 'Skeena'
* Images shown are of mature plants
Skeena Cherry Tree Prunus avium 'Skeena'
Fragrant Cherry Blossoms Plus Abundant Cherries
Do you love cherries, but hate having to wait for your local grocery store to have good, in-season fruit? With the Skeena Cherry Tree, you can grow your own cherries effortlessly and enjoy the springtime cherry blossoms.
The Skeena Cherry Tree produces abundant cherry blossoms in the spring and equally prolific amounts of dark red cherries. These red cherries are considered commercial grade and extremely juicy. Plus, they're resistant to cracking and are great for jams, juices, pies, and they store better than other cherry varieties.
Self-fertile, the Skeena Cherry Tree, doesn’t need to be planted with other cherry trees. So, if your gardening space is limited or if you have another cherry tree that needs a companion to help pollinate it, this tree is ideal for you. And if you’re looking for an ornamental tree that provides a lot of shade, the Skeena Cherry Tree fits the bill.
You can finally have fragrant cherry blossoms and delicious cherries in your own backyard with the Skeena Cherry Tree. Get your highly productive cherry tree today!
Planting & Care
1. Planting: Choose a sunny spot that will give your cherry a minimum of 6 hours of direct sunlight per day. Although it will thrive in almost any kind of soil, avoid locations where the soil will remain soggy for prolonged lengths of time.
When you're ready to plant, dig a hole that's three times the width of the root ball and just as deep. Place your tree, back fill the soil, tamp down and water to settle the roots. Spread a layer of mulch around the surrounding soil to preserve moisture.
2. Watering: During the growing season, if your tree receives at least an inch of rain every 10 days then no additional irrigation is necessary. If the season is hot and dry, then you may need to provide some additional water. The best way to water is by using a slow trickling garden hose left at the base of the tree. If you're not sure when to water, however, simply check the soil about 2 or 3 inches down. If the soil here is dry, it's time to water.
3. Pruning: A year after planting your tree, prune during winter. Shape the tree to encourage horizontal branch growth with space between branches. And prune once a year as necessary to remove weak, drooping branches.
4. Fertilizing: Fertilize in the spring and mid-summer using nitrogen fertilizer twice annually, applying 2 weeks after planting and 4 weeks after the first application. Use a complete fertilizer such as 10-10-10 - fertilizer application ratios vary upon the formulation, so be sure to follow package directions. When applying, be sure fertilizer is 6 to 8 inches away from the trunk around the tree.
Tips: In colder climates, avoid fertilizing after mid-summer to prevent new growth that won’t harden before fall frosts.
Skeena Cherry Tree Pollination
Skeena Cherry Trees are self-fertile. You will get fruit with only one plant. However, adding an additional Skeena Cherry Tree will drastically increase the size of your crop.
Estimated Shipping Time: Most orders ship within 1-2 days. As noted on the website, some items are seasonal, and may only ship in spring or fall. Once your order is shipped, you'll receive an email with a tracking number.
|Order Total||Shipping Charges|
|Less than $100||$24.95|
|$129 +||FREE SHIPPING!|
Growing Zones: 5-9 outdoors
- Mature Height: 12-18 ft.
- Mature Width: 12-15 ft.
- Sunlight: Full Sun
- Growth Rate: Moderate
- Does Not Ship To: AZ, ID, WA
Customer Reviews & Photos
Want extra protection for your plants? We've got you covered. Our cost-effective One Year Warranty guarantees your plants for a full year.
If a plant gets damaged - from weather, human error or anything else - just send in a picture, and you'll get store credit to replace your plant!
Get peace of mind for your new plants. Purchase a One Year Warranty today!
Because this tree is grown in a burlap bag, its roots grow into the cloth, rather than circling around the pot. This brings moisture and nutrients into the tree, for faster, healthier growth and ease. Simply dig your hole, place the Drop 'N Grow™ bag in the center (burlap included), then use excess dirt to fill the hole. That's it!