Lapins Cherry Tree Prunus avium Lapins
* Images shown are of mature plants
Lapins Cherry Tree Prunus avium Lapins
Huge Harvests of the Sweetest Cherries
If you want to grow the most cherries per tree for a bountiful harvest, you can't make a better choice than planting Lapins Cherry. And Lapins Cherries are famous for being particularly sweet...even winning the title of sweetest cherry by plant researchers.
Plus, the Lapins Cherry is self-fertile. That means you only need one tree for fruit (though more trees planted nearby mean even bigger harvests). And Lapins Cherry Trees bear fruit in big clusters...with each large cherry measuring around an inch in diameter. In fact, mature trees can yield up to 50 quarts of cherries!
Even better? The Lapins boasts crack-resistant fruit. Any excess water that collects in cherries from rainfall may create pressure that can cause the cherry skins to burst, a common deficiency of other cherry trees. But the Lapins Cherry was specifically bred to be resistant to rain-induced splitting.
Bred to be the best, the Lapins Cherry Tree is second to none. Not only is it size-proportionate for smaller landscapes, but it's also the perfect pollinating tree for other varieties. So, if you have another type of cherry tree that doesn't bear much fruit, plant a Lapins and put it to work for you. You'll get a double harvest: Cherries from your self-fruitful Lapins and cherries from your other tree. Your Lapins has been specifically selected and grown for the best results. And now, you reap the rewards of our hard work at the nursery.
So, whether you incorporate these nutrient-packed fruits into salads, preserves, or fresh snacks, right off the tree, you'll love the taste and ease of Lapins Cherries. Grow your very own with the Lapins Cherry Tree today!
Planting & Care
1. Planting: Choose a sunny spot that will give your Lapins a minimum of 6 hours of direct sunlight per day. Although it will thrive in almost any kind of soil, avoid locations where the soil will remain soggy for prolonged lengths of time.
When you're ready to plant, dig a hole that's three times the width of the root ball and just as deep. Place your tree, backfill the soil, tamp down and water to settle the roots. Spread a layer of mulch around the surrounding soil to preserve moisture.
2. Watering: During the growing season, if your tree receives at least an inch of rain every 10 days then no additional irrigation is necessary. If the season is hot and dry, then you may need to provide some additional water. The best way to water is by using a slow trickling garden hose left at the base of the tree. If you're not sure when to water, however, simply check the soil about 2 or 3 inches down. If the soil here is dry, it's time to water.
3. Pruning: A year after planting your Lapins Cherry Tree, prune during winter. Shape the tree to encourage horizontal branch growth with space between branches. And prune once a year as necessary to remove weak, drooping branches.
4. Fertilizing: Fertilize in the spring and mid-summer using nitrogen fertilizer twice annually, applying 2 weeks after planting and 4 weeks after the first application. Use a complete fertilizer such as 10-10-10 - fertilizer application ratios vary upon the formulation, so be sure to follow package directions. When applying, be sure fertilizer is 6 to 8 inches away from the trunk around the tree.
Lapins Cherry Tree Pollination
Lapins Cherry Trees are self-fertile. You will get fruit with only one plant. However, adding an additional pollinator will drastically increase the size of your crop. Below are the most effective pollinators we have chosen for your area...
Estimated Shipping Time: Most orders ship within 1-2 days. As noted on the website, some items are seasonal, and may only ship in spring or fall. Once your order is shipped, you'll receive an email with a tracking number.
|Less than $100
Growing Zones: 5-9 outdoors
- Mature Height: 15-20 ft.
- Mature Width: 10-15 ft.
- Sunlight: Full Sun
- Spacing: 15-50 ft.
- Growth Rate: up to 2 ft.
- Does Not Ship To: AZ, CA, ID, WA