Growing Zones: 7-9 outdoors(hardy down to 10℉) 7-9 outdoors
- Mature Height:
- 6-15 ft.
- Mature Width:
- 3-10 ft.
- Full Sun
- 3-10 ft.
- Growth Rate:
- up to 2 ft.
- Botanical Name:
- Vaccinium ashei
- Does Not Ship To:
- AZ, CA, OR, WA
A Bumper Crop of Blueberries
With the characteristic adaptability of rabbiteye blueberries, Climax Blueberry (Vaccinium ashei 'Climax') is one of the easiest berry plants to grow. Few fruiting plants are as disease-resistant as southeastern native rabbiteye blueberries, which means you won't need to spray chemicals on the fruit that you'll be eating. And speaking of the fruit, Climax Blueberry is a prolific producer '– each mature plant can bear up to 25 pounds of blueberries each year!
Easy Growing and Care Tips
Across its perennial range in the warm climates of USDA Plant Hardiness Zones 7 through 9, Climax Blueberry will reach optimal health and maximum fruit production by following this checklist:
• Sun. Full sun is best '– the more, the better.
• Soil. Climax Blueberry prospers in acidic soil; it will not thrive in neutral or alkaline soils. This plant prefers a soil pH between 4.0 and 5.5. (A simple soil test will determine the pH.)
• Water. When plants begin to bear fruit, their need for water increases. So especially during this time, be sure to water your plants if the natural rainfall does not total at least 1 inch per week.
• Mulch. Adding a 3- to 4-inch layer of mulch around Climax Blueberry plants is definitely beneficial, particularly during the first couple of years after transplanting them. The mulch will not only help suppress weeds, but it will also help keep the soil moist. Apply mulch at least 2 feet from the base all around the plants, without piling the mulch around the trunk. Pine straw and finely shredded pine bark are good choices.
• Fertilizer. Climax Blueberries respond best to a slow-release fertilizer, preferably organic. These plants are sensitive to too much fertilization, so only apply fertilizer according to soil-test recommendations. This is a case of "more isn't better."
• Pruning. Climax Blueberry shrubs do not require labor-intensive pruning. But occasionally, remove the lower branches to keep the berries off the ground. When plants are mature, you can thin them by removing approximately one-fourth of the older branches from the base of the plants. This will encourage new shoots to form.
• Removing flowers. As tough as this task is, it will boost the long-term health and productivity of your Climax Blueberry plants. Remove the flower buds during the first after you transplant these shrubs. By doing this, you'll help plants develop a good root system and strong shoots.
Do You Need More Than One Plant?
In a word '– yes. Rabbiteye blueberries need a "pollen buddy" nearby, which is another variety or cultivar that ensures cross-pollination of the flowers. Without fertile flowers, the fruit cannot form. Harvesting tip: Blueberries do not continue to ripen after they're picked, so let the berries ripen on the bushes first '– a quick taste-test will let you know when they're sweet and ready to eat!
Customer Reviews & Photos
Estimated Shipping Time: Most orders ship immediately, however some orders may ship in 1-2 business days (we do not ship on the weekends) from date of purchase. As noted on the website, some items are seasonal, and may only ship in spring or fall. Once your order is shipped, you'll receive an email with a tracking number.
|Order Total||Shipping Charges|
|$0 - $14.99||$11.99|
|$15 - $23.99||$13.99|
|$24 - $39.99||$16.99|
|$40 - $79.99||$19.99|
|$80 - $98.99||$24.99|
|$99 - $124.99||$29.99|
|$125 and Above||Free Shipping!|
When will I receive my plants?
|Zones 3 & 4 ship the week of April 29th, 2019|
|Zone 5 ships the week of April 14th, 2019|
|Zone 6 ships the week of April 7th, 2019|