|Growing Zones:||4-11 (potted) 10-11 (in ground)|
|What's my zone?||
|Mature Height:||20-30 ft.|
|Mature Width:||10-20 ft.|
|Botanical:||Bougainvillea 'Sundown Orange'|
|Cannot Ship to:||AZ|
|Plant Directions:||Sent with Order|
Sundown Orange Bougainvillea Standard
Electrifying Color on a Tree-Form Bougainvillea
Sundown Orange Bougainvillea Standard will light up your landscape with its transitioning blossoms that reflect all the shades of a brilliant sunset. The colorful bracts that surround the tiny flowers open as vivid orange and gradually fade to coral and then pink. Enjoy this kaleidoscope of color on vigorous plants that are expertly pruned to look like a small tree!
A Tropical Touch
1. Multicolored blooms. Plants are resplendent with eye-catching blossoms that are produced all along the stems.
2. Attractive to hummingbirds and butterflies. Place Sundown Orange Bougainvillea Standard where you’ll be able to watch the butterflies and hummingbirds that flock to its irresistible flowers.
3. Tree-form standard. In horticultural terms, a “standard” is a tree-form plant that has been carefully trimmed and trained to resemble a miniature tree instead of taking the plant’s natural shape. Sundown Orange Bougainvillea naturally grows as a vine, so a tree-form shape truly transforms its look!
Year-Round Design Possibilities
If you live in Sundown Orange Bougainvillea Standard’s hardiness range of USDA Plant Hardiness Zones 10 through 11, you can grow this plant directly in the ground. As a specimen plant, all eyes will be drawn toward its vibrant colors. Plant two Sundown Orange Bougainvillea Standards at the entrance to a formal courtyard garden. Position a plant as the focal point in a mixed-plant grouping in a sunny border. If you live outside Sundown Orange Bougainvillea Standard’s hardiness zones, grow plants in containers, which you can move indoors during cold weather.
Ongoing Care Guidelines
• Sun. Sundown Orange Bougainvillea Standard flourishes in full sun -- at least 6 hours each day.
• Soil. Well-draining, slightly acidic soil (pH 5.5-6.5) is optimal.
• Water. Water new plants deeply and thoroughly to coax the root system to become established, but gradually reduce the amount of water as plants mature. Infrequent watering of mature plants is best -- plants do not like wet or waterlogged soil.
• Fertilizer. Once a year in spring, apply a granular slow-release fertilizer; or apply a water-soluble fertilizer once a month to supply necessary nutrients.
• Pruning. Your Sundown Orange Bougainvillea Standard will arrive perfectly pruned and shaped as a tree-form standard. Simply follow the lines of our shaping to keep it neat and tidy.
• Winter care. If you overwinter plants indoors, choose a location in your home or heated greenhouse that receives the most sun possible. During this transition time, Sundown Orange Bougainvillea Standard may lose its leaves as it enters a semi-dormant phase. Water plants very lightly just to keep the roots hydrated, and it will leaf out again when you set it outdoors the following spring!