Bronze Loquat Eriobotrya deflexa
* Images shown are of mature plants
Bronze Loquat Eriobotrya deflexa
Low-Maintenance Loquat For Year-Round Interest
Are you ready to have all-season interest in your garden along with adaptability and low maintenance? The Bronze Loquat is a compact evergreen tree that’s native to Taiwan and Southern Vietnam and provides long-lasting color throughout the year.
The Bronze Loquat produces small, white flowers that bloom in spring. These delicate blooms are fragrant and attractive to your favorite pollinators. And after the flowers bloom, they’re followed by small, orange to yellow fruits that are inedible to humans, but loved by birds, squirrels, and other friendly animals.
The foliage of the Bronze Loquat appears on the tree in early spring with bright, copper colors that shine in the sunlight. As the season progresses, these 8-12 inch leaves turn to dark green.
Great as a focal point, accent piece or even container planting, the Bronze Loquat is adaptable to any location that receives full sun. If you’re needing some extra privacy, you can even shape the Bronze Loquat into a hedge or privacy screen.
Although the Bronze Loquat prefers full sun for best growth, it also thrives in full to partial sun conditions with little to no maintenance.
Don’t wait to add the beauty of the Bronze Loquat to your space. Get yours before they’re all gone!
Planting & Care
1. Planting: First, select a spot where the tree will be in full sun (6 to 8 hours of sunlight per day) and has plenty of open space. Allow at least 25 feet from structures, sidewalks, and driveways unless you plan to control the size of the tree by pruning regularly. And it's always good to be sure your area has well-draining soil.
When you're ready to plant, make the hole three times wider than the root ball and three times as deep. Place the tree in the hole, and hold it straight as you backfill with the native soil that was removed. Finally, water to settle the roots and spread a 2 to 3-inch layer of mulch around the area.
If you're planting in a container, simply select a pot that's about twice as large as your plant's shipped container, use well-balanced potting soil, place your tree, backfill, and water. Then, place your Loquat in front of a sunny window indoors or in a sun-soaked spot on your porch.
2. Watering: Your new Loquat will benefit from a watering every other day for the first week and then 1 to 2 times a week for the first two months. Make sure to water once a week and more during extended periods of drought. During the rainy season, you should not have the need to water the tree at all.
For indoor Loquats, simply check the soil with your index finger. If the soil is dry about 3 inches down, water your Loquat Tree
3. Fertilizing: Your Loquat will require a feeding three times yearly with lawn fertilizer. Use one cup of the fertilizer divided into three applications over the growing season. For the second and third years, increase the amount to 2 cups, spread the fertilizer on the ground and then water.
If you’d rather use an organic method of feeding the tree, then use 2 to 3 pounds of aged manure, 2 tablespoons of greensand (a green-ish type of sandstone) and a tablespoon of rock phosphate.
4. Pruning: During its first couple of years, the Loquat will benefit from a bi-monthly trimming of the branch tips. Keeping them shorter than 3 feet forces the loquat to sprout more branches, which in turn makes more growth surfaces. And remove dead twigs, branches, and leaves as early as possible.
Estimated Shipping Time: Most orders ship within 1-2 days. As noted on the website, some items are seasonal, and may only ship in spring or fall. Once your order is shipped, you'll receive an email with a tracking number.
|Order Total||Shipping Charges|
|Less than $100||$24.95|
|$129 +||FREE SHIPPING!|
Growing Zones: 9-11 outdoors
- Mature Height: 15-25 ft.
- Mature Width: 15-25 ft.
- Sunlight: Full Sun
- Blooms: Spring
- Growth Rate: Moderate
- Does Not Ship To: AZ, OR
Customer Reviews & Photos
Want extra protection for your plants? We've got you covered. Our cost-effective One Year Warranty guarantees your plants for a full year.
If a plant gets damaged - from weather, human error or anything else - just send in a picture, and you'll get store credit to replace your plant!
Get peace of mind for your new plants. Purchase a One Year Warranty today!
Because this tree is grown in a burlap bag, its roots grow into the cloth, rather than circling around the pot. This brings moisture and nutrients into the tree, for faster, healthier growth and ease. Simply dig your hole, place the Drop 'N Grow™ bag in the center (burlap included), then use excess dirt to fill the hole. That's it!