Fernleaf Bamboo Bambusa multiplex ‘Fernleaf’
* Images shown are of mature plants
Fernleaf Bamboo Bambusa multiplex ‘Fernleaf’
Fast-Growing, Tropical Privacy
Looking for a fast-growing tropical hedge? Fernleaf Bamboo, a variety of Multiplex Bamboo, is the perfect choice!
Graceful movement and fern-like foliage. Fernleaf Bamboo is known for its slender canes and long, delicate foliage that grows into a gorgeous canopy, perfect for shading small areas or providing privacy around a patio or backyard.
Fast, low-maintenance growth. This Bamboo grows quickly and easily, for instant landscape interest. It tolerates even the toughest growing conditions, including poor soil, and it's admirably drought-tolerant once established. It responds well to pruning - and since it's a clumping Bamboo variety, it won't spread where it's not wanted!
Compact habit for planting versatility. This Fernleaf Bamboo grows just 6-10 feet tall and 4-6 feet wide, making it a versatile landscape element perfect for a low hedge or screen around patios, backyards and more - or even planting in containers indoors!
Don't miss out on this low-maintenance tropical evergreen - you'll get fast, consistent growth, easy privacy and year-round color. Get yours today!
Planting & Care
Location: Even non-invasive Bamboo is a vigorous grower, so be sure to prune regularly to control its spread. You can also plant it in containers or using in-ground barriers. For container-grown Bamboo, make sure to have plenty of drainage holes.
1. Planting: For best results, give your Bamboo a sunny spot that will provide some shade in the winter. Bamboo prefers loamy soil which contains a mixture of sand, silt, and clay and offers good drainage. However, the Bamboo adapts to moist soil types, provided there is good drainage. Also, since the Bamboo’s root system is shallow, provide protection from high winds.
Dig a hole with the same depth as the plant’s container and about twice its width. Carefully place the Bamboo plant in the hole. Backfill, remove any air pockets that may have formed while filling the hole and test the sturdiness of the plant once it's in the ground to make sure winds will not be able to topple it. Water generously and tamp down the surrounding soil.
2. Watering: The Multiplex needs plenty of moisture, especially when it’s young, so water every other day for the first month. After that, check the surrounding soil about 3 inches down and only water ifthis area is dry. For your container-planted Bamboo, water until you see it flow from the drainage holes.
3. Fertilizing: Once your Bamboo becomes established, you should implement a regular fertilizing schedule. High-nitrogen organic fertilizer is the best choice for Bamboo. Apply once in the summer and again in the fall.
4. Pruning: Occasionally remove dead shoots to thin the bamboo out and remove horizontal stems that are outside of the designated growing area with loppers.For hedges, an electric trimmer or hand shears do well on the Fernleaf Bamboo.
Cut at the height you wish, pruning just above the nearest node (the distinct line, often bulging a bit, that divides the sections of the bamboo stem). Otherwise, you will only need to prune new shoots annually and remove dead stems yearly.
Estimated Shipping Time: Most orders ship within 1-2 days. As noted on the website, some items are seasonal, and may only ship in spring or fall. Once your order is shipped, you'll receive an email with a tracking number.
|Order Total||Shipping Charges|
|Less than $100||$24.95|
|$129 +||FREE SHIPPING!|
Growing Zones: 7-10 outdoors
- Mature Height: 6-10 ft.
- Mature Width: 4-6 ft.
- Sunlight: Full to Partial Sun
- Spacing: 4-6 ft.
- Growth Rate: Fast
- Does Not Ship To: AZ
Customer Reviews & Photos
Want extra protection for your plants? We've got you covered. Our cost-effective One Year Warranty guarantees your plants for a full year.
If a plant gets damaged - from weather, human error or anything else - just send in a picture, and you'll get store credit to replace your plant!
Get peace of mind for your new plants. Purchase a One Year Warranty today!
Because this tree is grown in a burlap bag, its roots grow into the cloth, rather than circling around the pot. This brings moisture and nutrients into the tree, for faster, healthier growth and ease. Simply dig your hole, place the Drop 'N Grow™ bag in the center (burlap included), then use excess dirt to fill the hole. That's it!