Bottle Palm Tree Hyophorbe lagenicaulis
* Images shown are of mature plants
Bottle Palm Tree Hyophorbe lagenicaulis
A Tropical Palm to Treat Your Home or Garden
If you only choose one plant to give your home or garden an exotic look, opt for the Bottle Palm! This compact palm’s fronds sprout from a stout, ringed trunk, reminiscent of a rum bottle - hence the name.
The Bottle Palm is a no-fuss tree that requires limited space. Only sprouting four to six feathery fronds, it won’t take up much room in your outdoor design. Its bright green leaves add vibrant contrast to both darker greens and brighter colors for any eye-catching show.
The Bottle Palm also thrives in containers, so you can keep it indoors year-round or move it onto your patio in warmer temperatures. The palm’s unique shape and small size ensure it'll make a splash in both traditional and unique landscaping.
Once planted, the Bottle Palm is quite low maintenance, requiring very little pruning and falling prey to few diseases or pests.
Ready to add this tropical beauty to your collection? Order your Bottle Palm today!
Planting & Care
1. Planting: This tree will grow in shade, but its growth may be affected. In instances where the tree is planted in full shade, the Bottle Palm tends to develop a longer trunk and may lean towards sunlight.
Choose a planting location with well-draining soil. The Bottle Palm tolerates a wide range of soil conditions and isn't overly picky. Dig a hole twice the size of the tree’s root ball. Place the tree into the hole and firm the soil around the tree’s root system to remove any air pockets.
Apply two to three inches of mulch around the top of the tree’s root system to discourage weed growth and keep the soil moist. Ideally, the mulch should be at least two to three inches away from the tree’s trunk.
Container Growth: The Bottle Palm will grow indoors or outdoors in a container with drainage holes. Plant the palm in a mid-size container that is at least twice the size of the tree’s root ball. Use a cactus soil potting mixture.
2. Watering: Keep the soil evenly moist for the first six to eight months after planting so the tree can establish an adequate root system. Afterwards, water the tree weekly if it has not rained. During the summer months, the tree may also require supplemental watering.
Water your container Bottle Palm when the first two inches of soil feel dry to the touch.
3. Fertilizing: Fertilize the Bottle Palm in the spring, mid-summer, early fall, and late fall. Use a general purpose, high potassium fertilizer specifically for palms. Add fertilizer when the soil is damp and then water deeply. Follow the instructions on the fertilizer’s label for application ratios.
4. Pruning: The Bottle Palm Tree requires very little pruning. Remove dead or damaged fronds as needed by cutting them off as close to the trunk as possible.
Estimated Shipping Time: Most orders ship within 1-2 days. As noted on the website, some items are seasonal, and may only ship in spring or fall. Once your order is shipped, you'll receive an email with a tracking number.
|Order Total||Shipping Charges|
|Less than $100||$24.95|
|$129 +||FREE SHIPPING!|
Growing Zones: 4-11 patio / 9-11 outdoors
- Mature Height: 5-7 ft. Potted; 10-12 ft. Outdoors
- Mature Width: 6-8 ft.
- Sunlight: Full Sun, Partial Sun
- Growth Rate: Slow
- Does Not Ship To: AZ
Planting Care for the Bottle Palm Tree
Plant your Bottle Palm in an area that receives full sun (6-8 hours of direct sunlight per day).
Water your Palm 2-3 times per week for the first month, then once a week for the remainder of the first year after planting. Keep the soil moist but well-drained, watering more in times of drought and less when there is rainfall.
If necessary, apply palm fertilizers that contain specific nutrients best suited for palms or a balanced fertilizer, such as an 8-8-8 formula, for quicker growth in spring and summer.
Customer Reviews & Photos
Want extra protection for your plants? We've got you covered. Our cost-effective One Year Warranty guarantees your plants for a full year.
If a plant gets damaged - from weather, human error or anything else - just send in a picture, and you'll get store credit to replace your plant!
Get peace of mind for your new plants. Purchase a One Year Warranty today!
Because this tree is grown in a burlap bag, its roots grow into the cloth, rather than circling around the pot. This brings moisture and nutrients into the tree, for faster, healthier growth and ease. Simply dig your hole, place the Drop 'N Grow™ bag in the center (burlap included), then use excess dirt to fill the hole. That's it!