- Mature Height: 55-75 ft.
- Mature Width: 30-50 ft.
- Sunlight: Full to Partial Sun
- Spacing: 25 ft.
- Growth Rate: up to 2 ft.
- Botanical Name: Acer saccharum
- Does Not Ship To: AZ
This plant grows well in growing zones:3-8 outdoors (hardy down to -30℉)
A Four-Seasonal Gem
Like a brilliant sunset, Sugar Maple (Acer saccharum) sets the landscape on fire in autumn with its characteristic foliage colors of red, orange, and yellow. After the leaves drop, Sugar Maple's gray bark provides a contrast to other brown-barked trees in winter. Tapped in early spring for harvesting sap, Sugar Maple fulfills its name as the best maple species for making maple syrup. And during the summer, this tree fulfills its year-round value as a superior shade tree. Sugar Maple is truly a four-seasonal gem!
Resplendent and Resilient
• Outstanding fall color. A palette of sunset shades gives Sugar Maple its distinctive fall color. Cooler, northern climates may see deeper shades of red and orange, and warmer, southern climates may enjoy vibrant yellow shades.
• Break-resistant branches. Sugar Maple is a strong-wooded tree with sturdy branches that hold up in strong winds and under ice loads.
• Shade tolerance. Although Sugar Maple performs best in sunny locations, it is remarkably shade-tolerant.
Flowers and Fruit
Sugar Maple is prized for its fall foliage, but it also blooms in springtime! It has a habit of blooming profusely one year, followed by several years of flowering lightly. During the years of heavy bloom, yellowish-green flowers seem to give the tree a golden glow. The seeds that form from pollinated flowers are favorite treats for many birds, which also nest in the trees.
Growing Hints and Helps
Although it's not a demanding tree, our horticulturists have some growing tips that boost Sugar Maple's ability to perform its best. Choose a planting site with well-draining soil, because this tree doesn't like waterlogged or compacted soil. Moist, fertile soil is best for optimal health, particularly in hot climates. Water deeply and thoroughly during periods of drought so the leaves don't scorch. Sugar Maple is sensitive to deicing salts, so plant away from roads and walkways. Give it plenty of room to grow '– mature trees can grow to 80 feet!
Customer Reviews & Photos
|Order Total||Shipping Charges|
|Less than $15||$11.99|
|$119 +||FREE SHIPPING!|