Chandler Walnut Tree Juglans regia ‘Chandler’
* Images shown are of mature plants
Chandler Walnut Tree Juglans regia ‘Chandler’
The Top Walnut Tree on the Market
The Chandler Walnut Tree is the most popular Walnut Tree in the world! Developed at the University of California in 1963, this Walnut Tree boasts high productivity, pest resistance, low-maintenance and more.
The walnuts produced by the Chandler Walnut Tree are both unique and highly sought after. The light, alluring color of its kernels is often described as pearly, while the fruit itself has a mild and earthy flavor, perfect for recipes of all kinds. Plus, the “butterfly” halves are easily removed from their shells in one piece, making them prized by buyers and growers.
This Walnut Tree is also admired for excellent fruit production. With 90% of its lateral branches producing fruit and a vigorous growth habit, it’s a clear favorite. Orchards and home gardeners alike prefer the Chandler Walnut Tree over other Walnut Trees because of its abundant and impressive growth.
The Chandler Walnut Tree can reach a mature height of 40 feet, but can be pruned to remain smaller based on your landscape space or preferences. It also has fewer pest problems than other varieties because of its well-sealed, pest resistant nuts.
Stacked with positive attributes, it's easy to see why the Chandler Walnut Tree is so desirable. Order yours today for abundant walnut harvests in your own backyard!
Planting & Care
- Once you've picked the perfect planting location dig a hole that’s just as deep as the root ball on your tree and three times as wide.
- Take a pitch fork or shovel and scrape it along the sides of the hole to loosen the soil. Check for any debris like rocks, grass, or dirt clumps and remove them from the hole.
- Next place your tree in the hole and make sure that it’s level with the surrounding ground and standing straight upwards at a 90 degree angle.
- Slowly back fill the hole and gently tamp the soil down.
- Once you’ve completed the planting process give your tree a long drink of water and mulch the area to conserve soil moisture.
2 Watering: We often find that plants are harmed more by over watering than under watering. Keep this in mind when it comes to watering your walnut tree. Allow the soil to dry out two inches below the surface before watering your trees. When it’s time to give your trees more water hold a hose to their bases and count to 30 seconds in order to give them a slow, deep watering.
3. Fertilization: In order to give your walnut trees a boost give them some well balanced fertilizer like formula 10-10-10 twice a year. Once in the early spring and again in the early fall. If your soil is lacking in nutrients you can fertilize up to once a month during the growing season. Always remember to wait until your tree has experienced one year of growth before fertilizing.
4. Weed Control: Prevent weeds from growing under the canopy by spreading 3 to 4 inch thick layer of mulch around the base. The mulch won’t allow weeds to grow, and it will also help your soil retain moisture. If you spot some weeds that need removing you can remove them by taking a firm grasp on them and pulling them upwards out of the ground in a twisting motion.
5. Pruning: During the early spring is the best time of year to prune your walnut trees. You will want to prune any broken, damaged, or diseased branches. Also, remove any crisscrossing or rubbing branches. Make sure that your tree has sunlight and air flow through the canopy, this will allow the air and sunlight to knock out molds and fungi.
Be sure to look at your tree and plan where to make your cuts. Just like with a haircut, you can always remove more hair later, but if you cut too much it may take a while to grow back. Use a sharp and sterile pair of hand pruners or loppers and make your cuts at 45 degree angles facing upwards in order to promote new growth.
Chandler Walnut Tree Pollination
Chandler Walnut Trees are self-fertile. You will get fruit with only one plant. However, adding an additional Chandler Walnut Tree will drastically increase the size of your crop.
Estimated Shipping Time: Most orders ship within 1-2 days. As noted on the website, some items are seasonal, and may only ship in spring or fall. Once your order is shipped, you'll receive an email with a tracking number.
|Less than $100
Growing Zones: 6-10 outdoors
- Mature Height: 40 ft.
- Mature Width: 15-20 ft.
- Sunlight: Full Sun
- Spacing: 25-40 ft.
- Growth Rate: Fast
- Does Not Ship To: AZ, TX, OR, CA