Royal Ann Cherry Prunus avium 'Royal Ann'
* Images shown are of mature plants
Royal Ann Cherry Prunus avium 'Royal Ann'
Sweet Cherries To Rule The Garden
Cultivated from sweet wild cherries, the Royal Ann Cherry Tree will treat your senses! There’s nothing like homegrown fruit, and this variety will provide the juiciest flavor boost and the most refreshing snack.
This semi-dwarf cherry tree might be smaller in size, but it was born to produce, and without being high maintenance. Notably, it’ll thrive in most soil types, while deterring pests and tolerating cooler temperatures down to -10 degrees!
With a refreshing and crisp texture and a firm flesh prized for commercial and home canning, you can expect a delicacy of cherry bounties full of flavor, plump and juicy. Our mouths are already watering!
Enjoy your Royal Ann Cherries straight off the tree, in baked goods and recipes, dried or canned—the options are limitless! They're often incorporated in pies, grilling sauces, jams and preserves and are a favored choice for maraschino cherries, making them the perfect topper for fun drinks and cocktails.
Dominating in taste and all-around appeal, the Royal Ann Cherry Tree will rule your garden!
Planting & Care
1. Planting: Choose a sunny spot that will give your cherry tree a minimum of 6 hours of direct sunlight per day. Although it will thrive in almost any kind of soil, avoid locations where the soil will remain soggy for prolonged lengths of time.
Dig a hole that is as deep as the root ball and three times as wide. Place the roots in the hole and fill the hole about half-way with soil, tamp to remove air pockets then fill the hole completely. Spread a layer of mulch over the soil around your cherry tree to help keep the soil moist, encourage healthy growth and protect your tree against competing growth.
2. Watering: During the growing season, if your tree receives at least an inch of rain every 10 days, then no additional irrigation is necessary. If the season is hot and dry then you may need to provide some additional water. The best way to water is by using a slow trickling garden hose left at the base of the tree. This will allow the water to penetrate the soil more deeply and prevent it from running off over the soil surface. Make sure the ground is fully moisturized all around the root system.
3. Pruning: A year after planting your Royal Ann, prune your tree in the late to end of winter while dormant. Shape the tree to encourage horizontal branch growth with space between branches. Prune once a year as necessary to remove weak, drooping branches.
4. Fertilizing: Good, nutrient-rich soil should only require the addition of nitrogen. Fertilize in the spring and midsummer using nitrogen fertilizer twice annually applying 2 weeks after planting and 4 weeks after the first application. Use a complete fertilizer such as 10-10-10 and apply at the rate of 0.05 pounds of actual nitrogen per dose. Fertilizer application ratios vary upon the formulation so be sure to follow package directions.
Royal Ann Cherry Pollination
Royal Ann Cherrys are not self-fertile. You will need to plant another variety to achieve fruiting. Below are the most effective pollinators we have chosen for your area...
Estimated Shipping Time: Most orders ship within 1-2 days. As noted on the website, some items are seasonal, and may only ship in spring or fall. Once your order is shipped, you'll receive an email with a tracking number.
|Order Total||Shipping Charges|
|Less than $100||$24.95|
|$129 +||FREE SHIPPING!|
Growing Zones: 5-8 outdoors
- Mature Height: 14-16 ft.
- Mature Width: 10-14 ft.
- Sunlight: Full Sun
- Blooms: Spring
- Growth Rate: Moderate
- Does Not Ship To: AZ, CA, ID, WA
Customer Reviews & Photos
Want extra protection for your plants? We've got you covered. Our cost-effective One Year Warranty guarantees your plants for a full year.
If a plant gets damaged - from weather, human error or anything else - just send in a picture, and you'll get store credit to replace your plant!
Get peace of mind for your new plants. Purchase a One Year Warranty today!
Because this tree is grown in a burlap bag, its roots grow into the cloth, rather than circling around the pot. This brings moisture and nutrients into the tree, for faster, healthier growth and ease. Simply dig your hole, place the Drop 'N Grow™ bag in the center (burlap included), then use excess dirt to fill the hole. That's it!