Growing Zones: 4-11 patio / 9-11 outdoors(hardy down to 30℉) 4-11 patio / 9-11 outdoors
- Mature Height:
- 15-20 ft.
- Mature Width:
- 6-10 ft.
- Full Sun
- 6 ft.
- Growth Rate:
- up to 2 ft.
- Botanical Name:
- Bougainvillea 'New River'
- Does Not Ship To:
A Tree-Form Bougainvillea in Regal Purple
New River Bougainvillea Standard (Bougainvillea 'New River') brings a new look to this naturally growing vine. Our horticulturists have expertly pruned and shaped this plant to resemble a small tree '– called a "standard" '– which showcases its vibrant purple blossoms in an easy-to-maintain form. Your miniature flowering "tree" will command attention as soon as it bursts into bloom and continues flowering over a long season!
Upright and Colorful
1. Already pruned and trained. The intensive pruning and training work has already been done for you. Maintaining the upright form is a snap by simply trimming the new growth to follow the already-pruned shape.
2. Brilliant purple blossoms. New River Bougainvillea is also called "paper flower" because of the paper-like bracts that surround the tiny (true) flowers. These showy bracts are the source of color for bougainvillea plants.
3. Hummingbird- and butterfly-friendly. The blossoms entice hummingbirds and butterflies to visit for a sip of nectar, which makes New River Bougainvillea Standard a flurry of activity!
New River Bougainvillea Standard is a perennial only in USDA Plant Hardiness Zones 9 and 11, where it is a stunning focal point as a specimen plant. If you live in a climate outside its winter hardiness range, keep your plant potted so you can easily move it indoors during cold weather and enjoy it as a houseplant. When warm weather returns, move your plant back outside and enjoy it as a patio plant. Place two potted New River Bougainvillea Standards '– one on either side of your home's entrance '– for a dramatic welcome to your visitors.
Growing and Maintaining
• Sun. Full sun (at least 6 hours each day) is best.
• Soil. New River Bougainvillea Standard adapts to various types of soil, but the soil must have excellent drainage. Plants have healthier growth in slightly acidic soil, with a pH of 5.5 to 6.5.
• Water. Keep new plants watered thoroughly to keep their root systems hydrated. After their roots are established, plants are drought-tolerant and prefer slightly dry soil. Water thoroughly and deeply, but infrequently.
• Fertilizer. Applying a granular, slow-release fertilizer once in spring will keep plants nourished all season long.
• Pruning. The preliminary pruning work has already been done, so you can simply enjoy your New River Bougainvillea Standard. To keep your plant neat and tidy, keep it trimmed by following the original shape, because unpruned plants can reach a height of 20 feet and widths of 10 feet. (Wear gloves when pruning or moving your plant to protect your hands from the plant's thorns.)
• Winter care. If you move your New River Bougainvillea Standard inside during cold weather, give it as much light as possible, such as in front of a sunny window or in your sunroom. Don't worry if it drops some (or all) of its leaves; it is simply adjusting to lower-light conditions. Keep it watered lightly and it will leaf back out when you move it outside after it warms up in spring.
Customer Reviews & Photos
Estimated Shipping Time: Most orders ship immediately, however some orders may ship in 1-2 business days (we do not ship on the weekends) from date of purchase. As noted on the website, some items are seasonal, and may only ship in spring or fall. Once your order is shipped, you'll receive an email with a tracking number.
Some plants are not available for immediate shipment, and delayed delivery is noted.
|Order Total||Shipping Charges|
|$0 - $14.99||$11.99|
|$15 - $23.99||$13.99|
|$24 - $39.99||$16.99|
|$40 - $79.99||$19.99|
|$80 - $98.99||$24.99|
|$99 +||Free Shipping!|