Sugar Cane Plant Saccharum officinarum
* Images shown are of mature plants
Sugar Cane Plant Saccharum officinarum
Grow a Sweet Treat at Home!
Love sugar? So do we! And now, you can grow the same plant that's used to produce sugar and molasses, right at home!
Native to Southeast Asia, the Sugar Cane Plant is a tropical ornamental grass popular in the production of commercial sugar and molasses. With large, arching, green leaf blades atop sturdy stalks, Sugar Cane adds a vibrant tropical backdrop to garden beds, patios and more. Plus, when grown as a perennial, it blossoms with feathery bloom spikes.
In the right growing conditions, you can even use this tropical grass at home as a natural sweetener. It can be used in juices, cooking, baking and more.
The Sugar Cane Plant will thrive in hot, humid, and sunny conditions. But don't worry if you live in a cooler climate - you can still grow Sugar Cane at home! Just plant it in a container that you can bring indoors in the winter.
When you order a Sugar Cane Plant from BrighterBlooms.com, you get a happy, healthy tropical that's been nurtured with care before it ships to you. And that means you get a proven performer, ready to deliver tropical good looks and sweet edible qualities, delivered straight to your door.
Are you looking for a tropical plant for your patio or garden? Get the Sugar Cane Plant today!
Planting & Care
1. Planting: Sugar Cane plants grow best in hot, humid and sunny climates. If you live in growing zones 8-11, you can plant your Sugar Cane in the ground outdoors - in cooler climates, you'll want to use your Sugar Cane as an annual, or plant it in patio containers that you can easily move inside in the winter.
Sugar Cane is a sun lover, so find a spot with full sun and well-draining soil. It will grow best in a soil that's rich in organic matter and nutrients - you can amend your soil by mixing in a fertile compost and lime. Dig a hole twice as wide and as deep as your Sugar Cane's root ball, place your plant, backfill with soil and water well.
If you're planting your Sugar Cane in a container, select a pot one or two times larger than your shipped container, add a rich, organic potting soil, and water well. Bring your potted Sugar Cane indoors when temperatures drop below 50 degrees.
Keep in mind that Sugar Cane can spread quickly in hot, tropical environments - if you are planting your Sugar Cane in the ground in those conditions, take care to monitor the spread and cut back as needed.
2. Watering: Sugar Cane plants love moisture and humidity. Keep the soil consistently moist - if you live in an area without regular rainfall, your Sugar cane will benefit from irrigation. If your Sugar Cane is planted in a container, water more frequently.
If you plan to harvest your Sugar Cane, you can taper off watering just before harvest - a dry period will help slow growth and increase sugar production.
3. Pruning: Prune your Sugar Cane back if they grow too tall or start to sprawl outwards. You can use the cut stalks for organic mulch, or to propagate additional Sugar Cane plants.
4. Fertilizing: Sugar Cane plants will benefit from frequent fertilization, since they use up a lot of nutrients. During the summer growth period, you can fertilize your Sugar Cane weekly with a fertilizer high in nitrogen.
5. Harvesting: It can take up to two years to harvest Sugar Cane, and only when grown in the correct tropical conditions. Harvesting should be done before the plant flowers, to increase sugar concentration.
Estimated Shipping Time: Most orders ship within 1-2 days. As noted on the website, some items are seasonal, and may only ship in spring or fall. Once your order is shipped, you'll receive an email with a tracking number.
|Order Total||Shipping Charges|
|Less than $100||$24.95|
|$129 +||FREE SHIPPING!|
Growing Zones: 4-11 patio / 9-11 outdoors
- Mature Height: 8-20 ft.
- Mature Width: 3-4 ft.
- Sunlight: Full to Partial Sun
- Growth Rate: Fast
- Does Not Ship To: AZ
Customer Reviews & Photos
Want extra protection for your plants? We've got you covered. Our cost-effective One Year Warranty guarantees your plants for a full year.
If a plant gets damaged - from weather, human error or anything else - just send in a picture, and you'll get store credit to replace your plant!
Get peace of mind for your new plants. Purchase a One Year Warranty today!
Because this tree is grown in a burlap bag, its roots grow into the cloth, rather than circling around the pot. This brings moisture and nutrients into the tree, for faster, healthier growth and ease. Simply dig your hole, place the Drop 'N Grow™ bag in the center (burlap included), then use excess dirt to fill the hole. That's it!