* Images shown are of mature plants
Growing Zones: 4-11 patio / 8-11 outdoors
This plant is perfect for your area!
- Mature Height: 4-6 ft.
- Mature Width: 8-10 ft.
- Sunlight: Full to Partial Sun
- Spacing: 6-10 ft.
- Growth Rate: up to 2 ft.
- Botanical Name: Agave americana
- Does Not Ship To: AZ
A Commanding Garden Presence
Blue American Agave (Agave americana) is one of those dramatic-looking plants that simply cannot be overlooked in the landscape! It commands attention on so many levels '– its form, its size, its texture, and its spectacular bluish-gray to bluish-green color. If you want to make a bold design statement without having to fuss over a demanding plant, low-maintenance Blue American Agave will not disappoint.
True Blue and Tough as Nails
Blue American Agave is a durable plant that will reward you year after year with a host of attributes, including:
• Striking foliage. Its bluish-gray leaves will certainly turn heads, but equally striking is the shape of this plant. It grows in a rosette form, which means all the leaves arise from a central crown. As it matures, Blue American Agave can reach a height of 6 feet, with a spread that's even larger '– up to 10 feet! The leaves are thickly succulent, and they create a starburst pattern that radiates straight up from the crown with the outer leaves gently arching away from the center. Plant Blue American Agave in a prominent place '– it's a true specimen plant that makes a stunning focal point.
• Drought- and heat-tolerant. As a succulent plant, Blue American Agave stores water in its leaves, which means you won't have to worry about watering it after it's established. When there's little rainfall, the stored water keeps the plant hydrated. Heat and humidity do not faze this plant at all; in fact, as the temperature rises in summer, it is even more beautiful!
• Evergreen that produces alluring fragrance. "Green" in "evergreen" simply means Blue American Agave retains its foliage in winter, not that it loses its bluish color and turns green in cold weather. You can even plant it as an intriguing substitute for an evergreen shrub.
As a perennial in USDA Plant Hardiness Zones 8 through 11, this low-maintenance plant has only a few needs. It'll grow best in a sunny location '– at least 6 hours each day. It's adaptable to many soil types, as long as the soil has good drainage. If you plant it in a raised bed, in a container, or if you want to loosen heavy garden soil, use a prepackaged cactus or succulent mix.
Tip: Just a word of caution '– Wear gloves when handling Blue American Agave because it has sharp, pointed tips and sharp leaf edges. Plant it away from sidewalks and sitting areas; and keep it out of reach of curious little hands!
Customer Reviews & Photos
Estimated Shipping Time: Most orders ship within 1-2 days. As noted on the website, some items are seasonal, and may only ship in spring or fall. Once your order is shipped, you'll receive an email with a tracking number.
|Order Total||Shipping Charges|
|Less than $15||$11.99|
|$125 +||FREE SHIPPING!|