* Images shown are of mature plants
Growing Zones: 6-9 outdoors
This plant may not thrive in your area
- Mature Height: 6 ft.
- Mature Width: 6 ft.
- Sunlight: Full Sun
- Growth Rate: Slow
- Botanical Name: Ilex crenata 'Compacta'
- Does Not Ship To: AZ
Adaptable Form Fits in Any Location
Dense green foliage grows in a neat globe-like form, setting the Compacta Japanese Holly apart. And with this carefree shrub, you get a full landscape transformation in one tidy package. Plus, you get a pop of color since the Compacta's young stems are purple, delivering rich contrast that takes your curb appeal to the next level.
The Compacta's small black fruit grows throughout the winter, creating an eye-catching meeting point for the graceful wildlife in your garden. Whether you use it for low shrubbery and hedging or even tall groundcover, the Compacta's neat habit, slow growth rate, and small leaves make it well-suited for any area. When you plant in groups, the Compacta's crowns mold together to form a sea of rich evergreen color - no excessive pruning or care required.
And unlike other big-box retailers or chain garden centers, we've done the extra work to nurture your plant and ensure its long-term success. When you order from Brighter Blooms, you won't get bare-root. Bare-root plants have a 50/50 shot at survival in your landscape...but your Compacta Holly is delivered in a pot with fully-developed, healthy roots.
Now, you'll have rich color and effortless care season after season. But don't wait...get your own Compacta Holly Shrub today, before they're gone!
Planting & Care
1. Planting: It’s important to select the right location for your Holly – preferably one that receives 6 to 8 hours of sunlight per day and with well-drained soil. After selecting your area, dig a hole that’s two to three times the size of your shrub’s root ball, place your shrub, then backfill the soil while tamping down the soil to avoid air pockets. Then, water to settle your shrub's roots.
2. Watering: Generally, you should water weekly, or more often in extreme heat. If you’re not sure when to water your shrub, simply check its surrounding soil, down to about 2 or 3 inches – if the soil is dry, water your Yaupon.
3. Fertilizing: Feed with a general-purpose fertilizer in early spring for best results.
4. Pruning: If you want a neater, tidier appearance for your Compacta, prune or shear it annually in winter to your desired shape.
We recommend getting 3 gallon privets if they're still available. You'll get tons of color, the first year! Perfect for impatient gardeners!
Customer Reviews & Photos
Estimated Shipping Time: Most orders ship within 1-2 days. As noted on the website, some items are seasonal, and may only ship in spring or fall. Once your order is shipped, you'll receive an email with a tracking number.
|Order Total||Shipping Charges|
|Less than $15||$11.99|
|$125 +||FREE SHIPPING!|