Nagami Kumquat Tree Fortunella margarita
* Images shown are of mature plants
Nagami Kumquat Tree Fortunella margarita
Easygoing Kumquats Grown at Home!
We love kumquats for their sweet flavor and edible peel. For a low maintenance fruit you can grow from home, our Nagami Kumquat Tree is the way to go!
Nagami Kumquats are easy to grow, drought tolerant, and resistant to pests and disease! This means you won't have to spray their leaves with harsh chemicals or pesticides. And while this kumquat tree prefers sandy soils, it is adaptable to many soil types!
Unlike other citrus fruit, the sweetest part of the kumquat is the peel. And ripe Nagami Kumquats are actually stored on the tree! Just pick them whenever you feel like making marmalade, a fruit smoothie, or a fresh fruit salad.
Wait until you see how gorgeous your own kumquat will be. For February fruit straight from the branch, grab a Nagami Kumquat Tree today!
Planting & Care
1. Planting: Choose a location where your tree is going to get plenty of sunlight, around 6 to 8 hours per day is ideal. They can tolerate some shade but thrive in full sun. These trees also do better in areas with high humidity so you may also need to create humidity for your tree by misting the leaves daily with water. Potted plants do enjoy a daily misting for humidity but placing a tray with rocks filled with water under the plant will feed humidity to the tree as the water evaporates.
When you're ready to plant, ensure you have well-drained soil and dig a hole twice as wide and just as deep as the root system. Place the tree in the hole and backfill. After planting, be sure to give your Kumquat tree a deep watering for about 5 minutes. Mulching around the tree will help insulate the roots and keep your plant warm in the colder winter months as well.
If you're planting in a container, just select a container that's twice the width of your plant's shipped container.
2. Watering: Kumquats do not like wet feet. Be sure to give your tree a deep watering so that it can penetrate into the root system. After watering, allow the top 2 to 3 inches of the soil to dry out completely before watering again.
For potted Kumquats, stick your index finger into the soil down to about 2 inches. If there is moisture present, hold off on watering until it feels drier at that depth. When you're watering, stop once you see it escaping the drainage holes at the base of the pot.
3. Fertilizing: Feed your Kumquat Tree during the warmer spring and summer seasons with a citrus-specific fertilizer, like the one included in our Citrus Care Kit, once every six weeks. During the fall and winter season, ease back to fertilizing once every 2 to 3 months. Once the tree has matured a bit and has got a few years on it, you can skip the cold season fertilization. Follow the application instructions on the bag.
4. Pruning: Pruning can be done at any time of the year for in-ground planted Kumquats, except in the winter. Make 45-degree angle cuts to remove dead or crossing limbs and also to thin out the tree to allow more light to flow between the branches. After the tree fruits, remove any dead wood and ventilate the center of the tree. Remove suckers as they form/grow from the base. Pruning can be done at any time of the year for the potted Kumquat.
5. Pollination: Our trees are self-fertile, but for indoor trees, you can pollinate by hand, taking a small, dry, fine-tipped paintbrush and sticking it into the center of the bloom. Swirl it around and collect the pollen on the brush. Go to the next bloom and repeat the process until every bloom has been treated. Do this once daily and don’t wash the paintbrush until after the blooms have been pollinated. The bloom will fall off naturally and the fruit will begin to form.
Nagami Kumquat Tree Pollination
Nagami Kumquat Trees are self-fertile. You will get fruit with only one plant. However, adding an additional Nagami Kumquat Tree will drastically increase the size of your crop.
Estimated Shipping Time: Most orders ship within 1-2 days. As noted on the website, some items are seasonal, and may only ship in spring or fall. Once your order is shipped, you'll receive an email with a tracking number.
|Order Total||Shipping Charges|
|Less than $100||$24.95|
|$129 +||FREE SHIPPING!|
Growing Zones: 4-11 outdoors
- Mature Height: 8 ft.
- Mature Width: 6 ft.
- Sunlight: Full Sun
- Blooms: Spring
- Spacing: 8-10 ft.
- Does Not Ship To: AZ, CA, FL, HI, LA, TX
Customer Reviews & Photos
Want extra protection for your plants? We've got you covered. Our cost-effective One Year Warranty guarantees your plants for a full year.
If a plant gets damaged - from weather, human error or anything else - just send in a picture, and you'll get store credit to replace your plant!
Get peace of mind for your new plants. Purchase a One Year Warranty today!
Because this tree is grown in a burlap bag, its roots grow into the cloth, rather than circling around the pot. This brings moisture and nutrients into the tree, for faster, healthier growth and ease. Simply dig your hole, place the Drop 'N Grow™ bag in the center (burlap included), then use excess dirt to fill the hole. That's it!