Persian 'Bearss' Lime Tree Citrus latifolia
* Images shown are of mature plants
Persian 'Bearss' Lime Tree Citrus latifolia
The Biggest Limes You Can Grow
• Produces giant, seedless limes with amazing flavor and fragrance.
• Fruit tastes better than anything you'll find at a local gourmet market
• Fills the air with a wonderful citrus scent when it blooms in spring
Giant, Delicious Limes
The Persian Lime Tree is what most of us picture when we think of a typical lime, though frankly the taste of this lime is not typical; it is delicious. This wonderful tree was commercially cultivated in Florida starting around 1882. For more than a century, the Persian Lime was extensively grown in that region, then in 1992 Hurricane Andrew devastated the crop. You can now re-establish this delicious lime in your own backyard!
The Persian Lime Tree is not difficult to grow if we remember that limes love full sun and heat. At 30°F they will become damaged and below 24°F they die. We would not recommend planting them in the ground below zone 9/9b or 10. If you live in zone 8 and have a protected and sunny area, you may have luck, however, we recommend planting in a pot that can be moved indoors.
Easy to Grow
When planted, it must be in well-drained soil, pH neutral or slightly acidic. In planting, the hole must be at least twice the size of the root ball and the root ball should be in a mound above soil level to create better drainage.
The Persian Lime Tree should be watered regularly after being planted. For the very best yields, prune the mature trees to about 8 feet tall.
Planting & Care
1. Planting: Choose a location where your tree is going to get plenty of sunlight...6 to 8 hours per day is best. They can tolerate some shade but thrive in full sun.
These trees also do better in areas with high humidity so you may also need to create humidity for your tree by misting the leaves daily with water. Potted plants do enjoy a daily misting for humidity but placing a tray with rocks filled with water under the plant will feed humidity to the tree as the water evaporates.
If your winter temperatures are consistently below 40 degrees, plant your tree in a container that can easily be brought outside in the summer months and inside in the winter. A planter with built-in casters is a good choice so it can easily be moved. Choose a pot slightly larger than what it was shipped in that has plenty of holes in the bottom to allow for drainage. Be sure to plant in well-draining potting soil preferably recommended for acid-loving citrus plants.
Place your tree in an area of your home, preferably a south-facing window, where it is going to get plenty of sunlight. Supplement with a grow light if it will not receive full sun.
2. Watering: Be sure to give your tree a deep watering so that it can penetrate into the root system. After watering, allow the top 2 to 3 inches of the soil to dry out completely before watering again.
When ready to water your potted Persian Lime, stop once you see it escaping the drainage holes at the base of the pot.
3. Fertilizing: Feed your Persian 'Bearss' tree during the warmer spring and summer seasons with a citrus specific fertilizer once every six weeks, such as the one included in our Citrus Care Kit. During the fall and winter season, ease back to fertilizing once every 2 to 3 months, and make sure to follow the application instructions written on the fertilizer bag.
4. Pollination: This tree is self-fertile and will produce fruit on its own, but if you want to increase your crop size, you can provide additional pollination by hand. Simply take a small, dry, fine-tipped paintbrush and stick it into the center of the bloom. Swirl it around and collect the pollen on the brush. Go to the next bloom and repeat the process until every bloom has been treated. Do this once daily and don’t wash the paintbrush until after the blooms have been pollinated.
5. Pruning: Pruning can be done at any time of the year for the potted Persian 'Bearss'.
Estimated Shipping Time: Most orders ship within 1-2 days. As noted on the website, some items are seasonal, and may only ship in spring or fall. Once your order is shipped, you'll receive an email with a tracking number.
|Order Total||Shipping Charges|
|Less than $100||$24.95|
|$129 +||FREE SHIPPING!|
Growing Zones: 4-11 patio / 8-11 outdoors
- Mature Height: 15-20 ft.
- Mature Width: 20 ft.
- Sunlight: Full Sun
- Spacing: 15-20 ft.
- Growth Rate: 1-2 ft.
- Does Not Ship To: AZ, CA, FL, HI, LA, TX
Customer Reviews & Photos
Want extra protection for your plants? We've got you covered. Our cost-effective One Year Warranty guarantees your plants for a full year.
If a plant gets damaged - from weather, human error or anything else - just send in a picture, and you'll get store credit to replace your plant!
Get peace of mind for your new plants. Purchase a One Year Warranty today!
Because this tree is grown in a burlap bag, its roots grow into the cloth, rather than circling around the pot. This brings moisture and nutrients into the tree, for faster, healthier growth and ease. Simply dig your hole, place the Drop 'N Grow™ bag in the center (burlap included), then use excess dirt to fill the hole. That's it!