Coffee Plant in Decorative Pot coffea arabica
* Images shown are of mature plants
Coffee Plant in Decorative Pot coffea arabica
Coffee Made—and Grown—at Home
Love coffee, plants, and growing your own food? Our 5-Inch Coffee Plant is the ideal gift for anyone who wants to begin harvest, roasting, and brewing their own Arabica coffee at home.
As it matures, your Coffee Plant will begin producing colorful, cherry-like fruit. This fruit contains the rich, aromatic beans that can be roasted and ground up for freshly brewed espresso. Plus, the fruit, which is rich in antioxidants, can also be enjoyed on its own!
Not only will you enjoy harvesting your own beans, but you'll also benefit from the Coffee Plant's tropical beauty. Its shiny leaves will add dimension and life to any space, and once the plant begins to fruit, the foliage will create a stunning contrast against the bright red "cherries."
Delivered in a wood or jute pot, your gift tree will arrive already potted in a style of your choosing. No extra shopping trips—this Coffee Plant is ready to grow as soon as it arrives on your doorstep.
For homegrown coffee (or simply to brighten up your kitchen) this gift Coffee Plant is a timeless addition to the home. Grab your own before we run out!
Planting & Care
1. Planting: Coffee Plants prefer indirect but bright light. It should be placed near an east-facing window but not directly in it.
2. Watering: Keep the humidity up around the coffee plant by setting it on a water filled pebble tray in its early stages. A light misting with a water bottle in the evenings is great for a more mature plant. You may also drench it twice weekly with warm water until it comes out of the bottom of your pot and then drizzle over the top to simulate rain.
Its leaves can be an indicator if more water is needed. If the leaves curl upwards, seeming crispy or dry, you may want to water it more. Drooping leaves that appear too heavy (or that turn a shade of dark brown or black) indicate overwatering.
3. Fertilizing: Your Coffee Plant needs to be fertilized every two weeks during the growing season with a low concentration of fertilizer. The best results come from using a formula like 10-10-10 or an orchid fertilizer but try to use it sparingly. During early stages of growth add a bit more nitrogen.
4. Pruning: Your Coffee Plant will need some pruning on occasion; Arabica should be grown as a single stem. "Suckers" can start growing near the base of the plant and should be removed as soon as possible with a sterilized cutting tool. A basic rubbing alcohol is recommended for sterilizing your pruners or loppers.
As your coffee plant matures you'll want to prune off any primary branches that droop and touch the ground by cutting them back to the secondary branch that they are closest to. Maintain well-spaced secondary branches on each primary branch and remove any of the dead, weak or damaged branches.
5. Harvesting: The cherries of your Coffee Plant take roughly nine months to fully ripen. The best way to harvest is by selective picking, where you select the best, ripest cherries for harvesting by hand. Coffee cherries don't mature all at the same time so it's necessary to pick them over the course of several days to remove your ripened cherries. the cherries are considered ripe when their skin fully turns red.
Squeeze the cherries in order to get the seeds or coffee beans out and place them into a bowl of water for 24 hours. This will make the remaining pulp stuck to the beans soft and easier to remove once the beans have fully dried.
Place your beans on some newspaper and let them dry slowly. You can place them in the sun but be cautious that you don't bake them. Also, be sure to stir them around so they will dry evenly. They will reach a dry, stable condition in about a week.
Repeat the process as necessary until all of your cherries have been picked and dried. When your beans are done they will be hard, almost brittle and if they're still soft at all, then they aren't ready yet.
Estimated Shipping Time: Most orders ship within 1-2 days. As noted on the website, some items are seasonal, and may only ship in spring or fall. Once your order is shipped, you'll receive an email with a tracking number.
|Order Total||Shipping Charges|
|Less than $100||$24.95|
|$129 +||FREE SHIPPING!|
Growing Zones: Indoors
- Mature Height: 8-15 in. Up to 6 ft. if planted outside
- Mature Width: 5 in. Up to 3 ft. if planted outside
- Sunlight: Partial Sun
- Does Not Ship To: AZ
Customer Reviews & Photos
Want extra protection for your plants? We've got you covered. Our cost-effective One Year Warranty guarantees your plants for a full year.
If a plant gets damaged - from weather, human error or anything else - just send in a picture, and you'll get store credit to replace your plant!
Get peace of mind for your new plants. Purchase a One Year Warranty today!
Because this tree is grown in a burlap bag, its roots grow into the cloth, rather than circling around the pot. This brings moisture and nutrients into the tree, for faster, healthier growth and ease. Simply dig your hole, place the Drop 'N Grow™ bag in the center (burlap included), then use excess dirt to fill the hole. That's it!