Ice Cream Bean Tree Inga edulis
* Images shown are of mature plants
Ice Cream Bean Tree Inga edulis
Sweet, Ice-Cream Flavored Beans in Your Backyard!
Exotic in nature and delicious in taste, the Ice Cream Bean Tree is truly a treat to grow in your home or backyard!
The Ice Cream Bean tree is a large, fast-growing, tropical fruit tree that’s easy to grow. Despite its tropical origins, it's a versatile grower. Keep your Ice Cream Bean Tree in a container indoors, or watch it grow to its full potential outdoors in warmer climates.
No matter where it’s planted, you’ll be able to enjoy the Ice Cream Bean Tree’s one-of-a-kind fruit. Producing bean pods between 1 and 2 inches long, the seeds are covered in a billowy cloud of moist, snowy-white pulp that tastes just like vanilla cream. And when roasted, the seeds can provide a rich source of protein.
The thick pods can grow straight or spiraled, and the Ice Cream Bean A Tree can measure up to 30-50 feet at mature height. With its gorgeous green, waxy leaves, it’s a show-stopper in any environment. Plus, as a legume, it’s rich in nitrogen - making it an amazing nitrogen additive for surrounding soil!
Don’t miss out on the unique and delicious Ice Cream Bean Tree. Order yours today!
Planting & Care
1. Planting: For a luscious Ice Cream Bean Tree, use well-draining soil and choose a location with filtered sunlight.
Select a pot that's about twice the size of your plant's shipped container, and if possible, use organic soil. Set it on a water-filled pebble tray in its early stages to produce a more humid environment. A light misting with a water bottle in the evenings is great for a more mature plant.
If you plant outside, ensure your tree is placed in a sunny area.
2. Watering: Water once weekly with warm water until it drains from the bottom of your pot. Keep the soil evenly moist.
3. Fertilizing: Fertilize sparingly ten inches away from the base about three times a year with a slow time released product. Unfertilized, your tree will tend to grow at a slower pace. As legumes, Ice Cream Bean Trees don't need nitrogen fertilizer because they produce their own nitrogen that enriches the soil.
4. Pruning: Remove dead branches in late winter or early spring to open up the canopy and stimulate fruit growth.
Estimated Shipping Time: Most orders ship within 1-2 days. As noted on the website, some items are seasonal, and may only ship in spring or fall. Once your order is shipped, you'll receive an email with a tracking number.
|Order Total||Shipping Charges|
|Less than $100||$24.95|
|$129 +||FREE SHIPPING!|
Growing Zones: 4-11 patio / 9-11 outdoors
- Mature Height: 8-10 ft. (indoors)
- Mature Width: 3-5 ft. (indoors)
- Sunlight: Full Sun to Partial Sun
- Growth Rate: Moderate
- Does Not Ship To: AZ
Customer Reviews & Photos
Want extra protection for your plants? We've got you covered. Our cost-effective One Year Warranty guarantees your plants for a full year.
If a plant gets damaged - from weather, human error or anything else - just send in a picture, and you'll get store credit to replace your plant!
Get peace of mind for your new plants. Purchase a One Year Warranty today!
Because this tree is grown in a burlap bag, its roots grow into the cloth, rather than circling around the pot. This brings moisture and nutrients into the tree, for faster, healthier growth and ease. Simply dig your hole, place the Drop 'N Grow™ bag in the center (burlap included), then use excess dirt to fill the hole. That's it!