Owari Satsuma Tree Citrus reticulata 'Owari'
* Images shown are of mature plants
Owari Satsuma Tree Citrus reticulata 'Owari'
Sweet, Small, Cold-Hardy Oranges
Homegrown and healthful citrus? Yes, please! Our Owari Satsuma Mandarin Tree is packed with benefits and impressive qualities.
You may have seen these small clementine-like oranges at the grocery store and even purchased them without knowing. But now, you can grow them for yourself. We’re big fans of homegrown fruit for freshness and convenience, and after growing these mandarins, we think you will be too!
And where these oranges triumph over other varieties is with their cold hardiness. Owari Satsuma Mandarins can withstand brief temperature drops down to 12 to 15 degrees, making them hardier than most others of their kind.
What’s more is that this variety is easy to peel with very few seeds, so you can prepare and enjoy it without the hassle that other varieties bring.
One bite of these sweet and delicious oranges and you’ll be hooked! Grow your own to discover the Owari Satsuma Mandarin for yourself.
NOTE: This product is specific to Georgia. Find Owari Satsuma Mandarins available in other states.
Planting & Care
1. Planting: Choose a location where your tree is going to get plenty of sunlight - 6 to 8 hours per day is best. These trees also do better in areas with high humidity, so you may also need to create humidity for your tree by misting the leaves daily with water.
If your winter temperatures are consistently below 40 degrees, plant your tree in a container that can easily be brought outside in the summer months and inside for the winter. Choose a pot slightly larger than what it was shipped in (1 to 2 pot sizes) that has plenty of holes in the bottom to allow for drainage. Be sure to plant in well-draining potting soil preferably recommended for acid-loving citrus plants.
2. Watering: Set a weekly watering schedule for the best results. After watering, allow the top 2 to 3 inches of the soil to dry out completely before watering again.
But for potted Mandarin Trees, it's easiest to stick your index finger into the soil down to about 2 inches. If there is moisture present, hold off on watering until it feels more dry at that depth. When you're ready to water, stop once you see water escaping the drainage holes at the base of the pot.
3. Pollination: This tree is self-fertile and will produce fruit on its own, but if you want to increase your crop size, you can provide additional pollination by hand. To do this, simply take a small, dry, fine-tipped paintbrush and stick it into the center of the bloom. Swirl it around and collect the pollen on the brush. Go to the next bloom and repeat the process until every bloom has been treated. The bloom will fall off naturally and the fruit will begin to form.
4. Fertilizing: Feed your Mandarin Tree during the warmer spring and summer seasons with a citrus-specific fertilizer, such as the one included in our Citrus Care Kit, once every six weeks. During the fall and winter season, ease back to fertilizing once every 2 to 3 months.
5. Pruning: Prune ground-planted Mandarins in any season (except for winter) by making 45-degree angle cuts to remove dead or crossing limbs and also to thin out the tree to allow more light. After the tree fruits, remove any dead wood and ventilate the center of the tree. Remove suckers as they form/grow from the base. Pruning can be done at any time of the year for the potted Mandarin.
Owari Satsuma Tree Pollination
Owari Satsuma Trees are self-fertile. You will get fruit with only one plant. However, adding an additional Owari Satsuma Tree will drastically increase the size of your crop.
Estimated Shipping Time: Most orders ship within 1-2 days. As noted on the website, some items are seasonal, and may only ship in spring or fall. Once your order is shipped, you'll receive an email with a tracking number.
|Order Total||Shipping Charges|
|Less than $100||$24.95|
|$129 +||FREE SHIPPING!|
Growing Zones: 4-11 patio / 8-11 outdoors
- Mature Height: 8 ft. pruned
- Mature Width: 10 ft.
- Sunlight: Full Sun
- Blooms: Spring
- Growth Rate: Moderate
- Does Not Ship To: AZ, CA, FL, HI, LA, TX
Customer Reviews & Photos
Want extra protection for your plants? We've got you covered. Our cost-effective One Year Warranty guarantees your plants for a full year.
If a plant gets damaged - from weather, human error or anything else - just send in a picture, and you'll get store credit to replace your plant!
Get peace of mind for your new plants. Purchase a One Year Warranty today!
Because this tree is grown in a burlap bag, its roots grow into the cloth, rather than circling around the pot. This brings moisture and nutrients into the tree, for faster, healthier growth and ease. Simply dig your hole, place the Drop 'N Grow™ bag in the center (burlap included), then use excess dirt to fill the hole. That's it!