American Holly Tree Ilex opaca 'Satyr Hill'
* Images shown are of mature plants
American Holly Tree Ilex opaca 'Satyr Hill'
The Ideal Evergreen Hedge
- Easy to grow
- Drought tolerant, once established
- Low maintenance
- Pest & disease resistant
- Adapts to many soils
This all around American winner is naturally adapted to growing in native USA soil. Unlike other holly trees, this specimen evergreen tree remains fully branched to the ground even at maturity.
Tolerates Partial Shade
Found in nature as an under story tree in New England forests, you know that you can plant this tall beauty in a somewhat shaded area of your yard and it will do just as well as in full sun. From the coast of Massachusetts to southern Florida and west past the Mississippi River is the American Holly tree’s native range. Its amazing how many different climates this evergreen tree can adapt too!
American Holly is an award winning evergreen tree!
Perfectly suited to an easy-to-grow living wall for privacy or to block out noise. For a hedge planting that fills fast, you still want to plant your American Hollies 4-5 feet apart. The excellent pyramidal shape makes this a great accent evergreen that will grow in any soil, even hard compacted clay. Bright red winter berries will delight you and the birds!
Great for holiday decorating
So plan your yearly shearing of those American Hollies right before the Christmas season arrives for the freshest greenery. Your trees are grown an extra year to make sure you plant only well-developed root systems in your yard. We do this to offer you better benefits and quick rewards in growing our trees at your house.
Planting and Care
1. Planting: Plant your American Holly tree in an area that receives full to partial sunlight (4 to 8 hours of sunlight per day). For a hedge or privacy screen, plant your American Hollies about five feet apart. And make sure that your American Holly doesn't sit in a low area of the yard that collects standing water.
When you're ready to plant, dig a hole that's about 2 to 3 times the width of the root ball (and just as deep), place your American Holly and back fill the soil. Add organic material to your soil to lighten the texture and improve drainage. Finally, mulch the surrounding soil to preserve moisture and water once planting is complete.
2. Watering: Keep your soil moist until your tree is established. Once American Holly Trees are established, they're drought tolerant and only need extra water during dry spells. Until then, we recommend watering about once weekly or checking the surrounding soil for dryness (use your finger to check the soil about 2 inches down).
3. Fertilizing: Each year, in early spring, fertilize your American Holly Tree with a slow-release fertilizer for an acid-loving shrub (something like Holly-Tone).
American Holly Tree Pollination
The 'Satyr Hill' cultivar is a female holly, so expect berries on every bush with no male pollinator needed.
Estimated Shipping Time: Most orders ship within 1-2 days. As noted on the website, some items are seasonal, and may only ship in spring or fall. Once your order is shipped, you'll receive an email with a tracking number.
|Order Total||Shipping Charges|
|Less than $100||$24.95|
|$129 +||FREE SHIPPING!|
Growing Zones: 5-9 outdoors
- Mature Height: 20-50 ft.
- Mature Width: 10-20 ft.
- Sunlight: Full to Partial Sun
- Spacing: 4-5 ft.
- Growth Rate: Moderate
- Does Not Ship To: AZ, OR
Planting Care for the American Holly Tree
Plant your Holly in an area with full to partial sun - at least 4 hours of sunlight daily.
Water weekly, or more often in extreme heat. Water when the soil is dry 2-3 inches down.
Fertilization isn't required for your Holly, but you can apply an evergreen fertilizer in the spring as needed.
Customer Reviews & Photos
Want extra protection for your plants? We've got you covered. Our cost-effective One Year Warranty guarantees your plants for a full year.
If a plant gets damaged - from weather, human error or anything else - just send in a picture, and you'll get store credit to replace your plant!
Get peace of mind for your new plants. Purchase a One Year Warranty today!
Because this tree is grown in a burlap bag, its roots grow into the cloth, rather than circling around the pot. This brings moisture and nutrients into the tree, for faster, healthier growth and ease. Simply dig your hole, place the Drop 'N Grow™ bag in the center (burlap included), then use excess dirt to fill the hole. That's it!