Winesap Apple Tree Malus pumila 'Winesap'
* Images shown are of mature plants
Winesap Apple Tree Malus pumila 'Winesap'
Delicious Apples, Hassle-Free
If you're looking for the perfect apple tree, it doesn't get any better than the time-tested Winesap Apple Tree. They're exquisitely juicy with a strong, tart, spicy flavor comparable to wine (hence the name). In fact, the Winesap is a favorite for juicing and cider production.
Plus, the Winesap is a money-saver. Your large harvest will ripen in mid-October and the fruit does perfectly fine on the vine through November. The best part: Your apples keep well for 3 months when refrigerated.
Even better? The Winesap is versatile. You can pot your Winesap in a container to enjoy just about anywhere. We recommend your patio, or near a window where you can relish the view and sweet aroma. And though your Winesap will need to be paired with another variety for cross-pollination, the entire process is easy. We suggest any of the following to be planted within 50 feet of your Winesap for successful fruit-bearing:
• Fuji Apple Tree (Low-Chill)
• Gala Apple Tree
• Granny Smith Apple Tree
• McIntosh Apple Tree
• Yellow Delicious Apple Tree
Planting and care couldn't be simpler. The Winesap Apple Tree is resistant to mildew, cedar apple rust, and cold weather. So, under optimal conditions, you'll receive a great harvest the first year. Because we nurture your tree and won't ship it until it's ready to bear fruit, all you need to do is plant it and prepare to get an abundance of apples as soon as this fall.
Order yours today to have these delicious apples year after year!
Planting & Care
1. Planting: For best results, find a location with well-drained soil and full sun - about 6 hours of sunlight per day. Once you've selected a location, dig a hole that's twice the width of the root ball and just as deep. Then, place your tree, back fill and tamp down the soil, and water to settle the soil. Finally, mulch to retain moisture.
*Tip: Make sure your mulch is not touching the base of the trunk.
2. Watering: Your apple will benefit from a regular watering each week, though you may have to water more during times of drought. If you're not sure when to water, simply check the soil down to a depth of about 2 or 3 inches - if it's dry here, it's time to water.
3. Pruning: Once your tree has become established and is starting to bear fruit, it will need some periodic, moderate pruning. Only prune the tree during times of dormancy, making sure to remove any vigorous, upright stems and weak, damaged or dead branches.
Estimated Shipping Time: Most orders ship within 1-2 days. As noted on the website, some items are seasonal, and may only ship in spring or fall. Once your order is shipped, you'll receive an email with a tracking number.
|Order Total||Shipping Charges|
|Less than $100||$24.95|
|$129 +||FREE SHIPPING!|
Growing Zones: 5-9 outdoors
- Mature Height: 12-15 ft.
- Mature Width: 8-10 ft.
- Sunlight: Full Sun
- Blooms: Spring
- Spacing: 15-20 ft.
- Growth Rate: 2-3 ft yearly
- Does Not Ship To: AZ, CA, ID, OR, WA
Planting Care for the Winesap Apple Tree
Your Winesap Apple needs lots of bright sunlight. Plant it in a spot that gets full sun (6-8 hours per day).
Water your Winesap Apple regularly each week, more so during times of drought. When in doubt, check the soil 2-3 inches down and water when dry.
Use a fertilizer that's formulated for apple trees and follow all label directions, which typically require applications from spring through summer.
Customer Reviews & Photos
Want extra protection for your plants? We've got you covered. Our cost-effective One Year Warranty guarantees your plants for a full year.
If a plant gets damaged - from weather, human error or anything else - just send in a picture, and you'll get store credit to replace your plant!
Get peace of mind for your new plants. Purchase a One Year Warranty today!
Because this tree is grown in a burlap bag, its roots grow into the cloth, rather than circling around the pot. This brings moisture and nutrients into the tree, for faster, healthier growth and ease. Simply dig your hole, place the Drop 'N Grow™ bag in the center (burlap included), then use excess dirt to fill the hole. That's it!