Celestial Shadow Dogwood (Cornus x 'Celestial Shadow') is the serendipitous result of crossing two dogwood species to produce a second-generation hybrid with improved disease resistance. The goal was achieved, and the icing on the cake was the surprise appearance of variegated leaves! You've never seen dogwood foliage like this -- Celestial Shadow Dogwood's leaves are green, creamy-white and canary yellow. And that's just in spring and summer; the autumn foliage is also a knockout with variegated shades of red, pink and purple!
The Result of Superior Breeding
1. Color. The colorful foliage lasts through three seasons -- spring, summer and fall. But this tree also has colorful blooms and bark. Showy white bracts surround the tiny true flowers in summer, and peeling, grayish bark adds winter interest.
2. Size. Just the right size for smaller yards or in larger yards as an understory tree, Celestial Shadow Dogwood reaches only 20 to 25 feet.
3. Disease-resistant. This resilient little tree is resistant to dogwood anthracnose, a disease that plagues our native dogwood species.
Show it Off
In Celestial Shadow Dogwood's perennial range across USDA Plant Hardiness Zones 5 through 9, it's the ultimate specimen plant because of its uniquely variegated leaves and large white blooms. Plant this tree as a front-yard focal point near your home's entrance so passersby and guests can enjoy it. Celestial Shadow Dogwood excels as a border plant, where a perfect growing spot is at the transition from morning sun to afternoon shade.
These few recommendations help maintain your Celestial Shadow Dogwood in the peak of health:
• Sun. Morning sun and afternoon shade is optimal. Leaf margins may scorch and leaf variegation may fade in harsh afternoon sun.
• Soil. Trees prosper in rich, well-draining soil that doesn't hold standing water. Acidic soil is best (pH 5.5-6.5).
• Water. Water newly transplanted trees thoroughly and deeply throughout the first growing season to give them a good start. Keep trees watered in times of drought; otherwise, natural rainfall is sufficient.
• Fertilizer. Fertilize trees according to soil-test recommendations. Your local Extension Service office can tell you how to take a soil sample for their testing.
• Pruning. You won't have to prune Celestial Shadow Dogwood unless you need to remove older or broken branches.
Celestial Shadow Dogwood (Cornus x 'Celestial Shadow') is the serendipitous result of crossing two dogwood species to produce a second-generation hybrid with improved disease resistance.
Estimated Shipping Time: Most orders ship immediately, however some orders may ship in 1-2 business days (we do not ship on the weekends) from date of purchase. As noted on the website, some items are seasonal, and may only ship in spring or fall. Once your order is shipped, you'll receive an email with a tracking number.
Some plants are not available for immediate shipment, and delayed delivery is noted.
|Order Total||Shipping Charges|
|$0 - $14.99||$11.99|
|$15 - $23.99||$13.99|
|$24 - $39.99||$16.99|
|$40 - $79.99||$19.99|
|$80 - $98.99||$24.99|
|$99 - $124.99||$29.99|
|$125 and up||Free Shipping!|