Pin Oak Tree Quercus palustris
* Images shown are of mature plants
Pin Oak Tree Quercus palustris
Classic, Carefree Oak Benefits
Eye-catching evergreen foliage, autumnal tones, and easy shade: The Pin Oak Tree delivers the timeless benefits you love with the perk of carefree growth, no matter where it's planted.
The Pin Oak gives you everything you want in a classic shade tree. It merges no-hassle care with one-of-a-kind looks and slow but steady growth. Since it’s slow-growing but consistent, it acclimates to any area, especially since it doesn’t need fertilizer. It also thrives on rainfall alone after the first few growing seasons, so there's no guesswork for you.
But the best part about this Pin Oak? It's specifically chosen for you: Hand-selected by horticulturists to thrive at your home, it’s a proven performer no matter where you plant it because it adapts to your needs.
Most big-box garden centers ship bare-root in a process that destroys healthy and developed roots...but our proven process means you get developed roots in nutrient-rich soil.
Get a classic Oak Tree with none of the hassle or disappointing results. If you’re looking for timeless shade plus easy growth for your landscape, look no further than the Pin Oak!
Planting & Care
1. Planting: Do not plant too close to structures, streets, or sidewalks, and ensure you select an area with well-drained soil and enough sunlight per day.
Dig your hole and make it twice as wide as the diameter and as deep as the depth of the root ball. Keep the tree straight as you backfill the soil, gently tamping down the soil with your shovel until it's firm. Water the planting area thoroughly, allowing the water to really soak into the ground. Spread a 2 to 3-inch layer of mulch around the tree.
2. Watering: Over-watering is a common tree care mistake. A damp soil that dries for a short period will allow adequate oxygen to permeate the soil. As a rule of thumb, your soil should be kept moist. Usually, 30 seconds with a steady stream of water from a garden hose once a week in the cooler seasons is sufficient. In warmer climates, you may need to water 2 to 3 times weekly. Cease watering during the winter.
3. Fertilizing: Oak Trees experience a quick spurt of growth in the spring, followed by slower spurts of growth throughout the summer and fall seasons. Apply your fertilizer in the early spring before this initial spring growth spurt starts. The best fertilizers for oaks are those with a nutrient ratio of 12-6-6 or 12-4-8. While a healthy Pin Oak doesn't technically require fertilization, occasional feeding can help boost tree growth and acorn production.
4. Pruning: Pruning your tree during the winter months will allow it to care for its wounds in spring when it will recover more quickly. At first, limit trimming only to dead or broken branches on newly planted trees. Two to three years after planting, you can begin developmental trimming to shape the tree.
Estimated Shipping Time: Most orders ship within 1-2 days. As noted on the website, some items are seasonal, and may only ship in spring or fall. Once your order is shipped, you'll receive an email with a tracking number.
|Order Total||Shipping Charges|
|Less than $100||$24.95|
|$129 +||FREE SHIPPING!|
Growing Zones: 4-8 outdoors
- Mature Height: 60 ft.
- Mature Width: 20-40 ft.
- Sunlight: Full Sun
- Growth Rate: Fast
- Does Not Ship To: AZ
Customer Reviews & Photos
Want extra protection for your plants? We've got you covered. Our cost-effective One Year Warranty guarantees your plants for a full year.
If a plant gets damaged - from weather, human error or anything else - just send in a picture, and you'll get store credit to replace your plant!
Get peace of mind for your new plants. Purchase a One Year Warranty today!
Because this tree is grown in a burlap bag, its roots grow into the cloth, rather than circling around the pot. This brings moisture and nutrients into the tree, for faster, healthier growth and ease. Simply dig your hole, place the Drop 'N Grow™ bag in the center (burlap included), then use excess dirt to fill the hole. That's it!