* Images shown are of mature plants
Growing Zones: 5-9 outdoors
This plant may not thrive in your area
- Mature Height: 40-60 ft.
- Mature Width: 40-60 ft.
- Sunlight: Full Sun
- Growth Rate: Moderate
- Botanical Name: Quercus shumardii
- Does Not Ship To: AZ
A Towering Statement Tree for Your Landscape
Towering and resilient, the Shumard Oak tree is a true landscape stunner. Reaching up to 60 feet tall and wide at maturity, this Oak Tree adds unbeatable height and classic good looks.
With a tall, straight trunk and sturdy green leaves that form a neat, rounded crown, the Shumard Oak makes the perfect shade tree, covering your lawn with a cool canopy in the warm summer months. Plus, with this Oak Tree, you're in for a three-season display - in autumn, the Shumard's leaves will turn a gorgeous, deep-red hue.
And this hardy Oak cultivar couldn't be easier to grow. The Shumard Oak Tree can tolerate floods, droughts, and high winds. Adaptable to most environments, the Shumard Oak thrives equally in urban landscapes, along waterways, and in dry climates.
The best part? The Shumard Oak is a true heritage tree that will last in your for generations. And when you get your Shumard Oak from BrighterBlooms.com, you get a stronger, more mature tree that's been nurtured with care before it ships to you. Your Shumard Oak will be ready to thrive in your landscape on day one and for years to come.
Don't miss out on this classic, sturdy shade tree. Get your Shumard Oak today!
Planting & Care
1. Planting: Do not plant too close to structures, streets, or sidewalks, and ensure you select an area with well-drained soil and full sun (at least 6-8 hours of sunlight per day).
Dig your hole twice as wide and as deep as of the root ball. Place the tree, keeping the trunk straight as you backfill the soil, and gently tamp down the soil with your shovel until it's firm. Water the planting area thoroughly, and spread a 2 to 3-inch layer of mulch around the tree.
2. Watering: Over-watering is a common tree care mistake. As a rule of thumb, your soil should be kept moist, but allow it to dry out somewhat between waterings. Usually, 30 seconds with a steady stream of water from a garden hose once a week in the cooler seasons is sufficient. In warmer climates, you may need to water 2 to 3 times weekly. Cease watering during the winter.
3. Fertilizing: Oak Trees typically experience a quick spurt of growth in the spring, followed by slower growth throughout the summer and fall seasons. Apply your fertilizer in the early spring before this initial spring growth spurt starts. The best fertilizers for Oak Trees are those with a nutrient ratio of 12-6-6 or 12-4-8. While a healthy Shumard Oak doesn't require fertilization, occasional feeding can help boost tree growth and acorn production.
4. Pruning: Pruning your tree during the winter months will allow it to heal in spring when it will recover more quickly. At first, limit trimming only to dead or broken branches on newly planted trees. Two to three years after planting, you can begin trimming to shape the tree as needed.
Customer Reviews & Photos
Estimated Shipping Time: Most orders ship within 1-2 days. As noted on the website, some items are seasonal, and may only ship in spring or fall. Once your order is shipped, you'll receive an email with a tracking number.
|Order Total||Shipping Charges|
|Less than $15||$11.99|
|$125 +||FREE SHIPPING!|