Windmill Palm Tree Trachycarpus fortunei
* Images shown are of mature plants
Windmill Palm Tree Trachycarpus fortunei
The Cold-Hardy Palm Tree Seen at Resorts
Most people think palm trees can't survive outside of the tropics. The trick is knowing the cold-hardy variety that grows in the north.
The Windmill Palm Tree...
• It is the most cold-hardy palm tree... thrives up north!
• Adapts to most climates and soils
• Resists pests, diseases, and drought
• Easy to grow
Turns any Landscape into a Tropical Estate
Give your yard an exotic touch with the king of palms. Trachycarpus fortunei (Windmill Palm Tree) is easy to grow anywhere! This Palm Tree is widely used at resorts and palaces... the ones not located in the tropics... so you get that exotic look no matter where you live!
Quickly Becomes the Center of Attention
The Windmill Palm is the most cold-tolerant of the tall palms that is known for its lack of leaf litter meaning less of a mess for you! Perfect for spaces near a pool or walkway.
Windmill Palm Trees Make a Wonderful Accent Tree
For any northern homeowner who dreams of a tropical pool setting, this tree is the answer.
Windmill Palm Trees are Rapidly Gaining Popularity in US Landscapes.
This tree is disease and pest-resistant, giving you a very hassle-free plant to grow. The Windmill Palm Tree is long-lived and offers unique landscape design possibilities for homeowners across the country.
Get Well-Developed Palm Trees with Excellent Roots.
It takes strong roots to ensure your success in growing palm trees in your yard. The Windmills offered at Brighter Blooms Nursery will have advanced root systems. We hold our plants in the nursery longer to make growing easier for our customers. Here at Brighter Blooms Nursery, we grow our palm trees in containers. This ensures you receive the largest, healthiest roots possible.
Planting and Care
1. Planting: You don't have to immediately repot your plant - you'll only need to repot approximately every other year, once your Palm outgrows its shipped container or original pot. Increase the pot size by 2 inches each time you repot to accommodate new growth. This palm does grow quite large so make plans to eventually plant outdoors once it has outgrown its container.
If growing outdoors make sure you give the palm well-draining soil and adequate space above to grow.
2. Watering: Mist your Palm weekly if kept indoors in addition to regular watering – this ensures that its native humid climate is simulated in your home. If you're not sure when to water, simply check the soil about 2 inches down. If the soil is dry here, it's time to water.
FGT Tip: If fronds begin to yellow, it could be a sign of overwatering. If you see yellowed fronds, allow time for the soil to dry before watering your plant again. Browning fronds, however, mean that your Palm is not getting enough water and needs more. Using a well-draining potting mix is key in getting this balance.
3. Pruning: Simply any fronds as they turn yellow or brown. This improves the look of your plant and creates clean space for healthier green fronds to grow.
4. Fertilizing: You can apply palm fertilizers that contain specific nutrients best suited for palms. If you prefer, you can also use a balanced fertilizer, such as an 8-8-8 formula, for quicker growth in spring and summer.
Estimated Shipping Time: Most orders ship within 1-2 days. As noted on the website, some items are seasonal, and may only ship in spring or fall. Once your order is shipped, you'll receive an email with a tracking number.
|Order Total||Shipping Charges|
|Less than $100||$24.95|
|$129 +||FREE SHIPPING!|
Growing Zones: 7-10 outdoors
- Mature Height: 20-40 ft
- Mature Width: 6-15 ft.
- Sunlight: Full to Partial Sun
- Blooms: Summer
- Spacing: 10-12 ft.
- Growth Rate: Slow
- Does Not Ship To: AZ
Planting Care for the Windmill Palm Tree
Plant your Windmill Palm in an area that receives full-partial sun (4-6 hours of direct sunlight daily).
Water your Palm 2-3 times per week for the first month, then once a week for the remainder of the first year after planting. Keep the soil moist but well-drained, watering more in times of drought and less when there is rainfall.
If necessary, apply palm fertilizers that contain specific nutrients best suited for palms or a balanced fertilizer, such as an 8-8-8 formula, for quicker growth in spring and summer.
Customer Reviews & Photos
Want extra protection for your plants? We've got you covered. Our cost-effective One Year Warranty guarantees your plants for a full year.
If a plant gets damaged - from weather, human error or anything else - just send in a picture, and you'll get store credit to replace your plant!
Get peace of mind for your new plants. Purchase a One Year Warranty today!
Because this tree is grown in a burlap bag, its roots grow into the cloth, rather than circling around the pot. This brings moisture and nutrients into the tree, for faster, healthier growth and ease. Simply dig your hole, place the Drop 'N Grow™ bag in the center (burlap included), then use excess dirt to fill the hole. That's it!